Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car crashed into. Claiming from their insurance

Options
  • 25-09-2018 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭

I saw the thread called "What is your car history" and I figured I best post up with some of our recent car history..

Most recent is this morning on school drop but most serious is 2 weeks back on a quiet Sun afternoon.. Anyway, let's (try) keep it brief.

My wife has had bad experience in her motoring over 20 years in that she has been rear ended, and sided on a few times but none have been her fault.. just unfortunately wrong place at wrong time.

Up to 2 weeks back I had never experienced being crashed into or pranged etc but that has all changed now.

We were all in the car, 5 of us, 2 weeks back and indicating to turn right when another driver decided to go straight into back of us and take us out. Thankfully kids and myself no serious injuries but added unfortunately to injuries my wife had from previous accidents.

So that took our 7 seater out of action and waiting for their insurer to come back and sort something out for us.

Move on to this morning and I am helping on school drops, as I have been for last 2 weeks, due to wife's condition and lack of school bus.. and I am sitting in my car waiting on her to come back and someone decides to have a good go at removing the rear corner of the car.. the 1 working one!

I was fairly sure they tried their best to make an escape and I am glad I didn't go get that coffee and instead sat in my car.. I hopped out and got to them before they could get back into traffic and motioned them into side. Needless to say I was not impressed having been driven into 2 weeks back and now again.. albeit not near as serious, but another attempt at our cars!

Anyway, this person seemed really irate at being caught and was more interested in having a go at me for being angry than the damage they had done to my car.

We exchanged details and took pics etc but I get the feeling this person is going to make things very difficult in getting my car fixed to the way it was. There is not major damage but the rear bumper will need a re-spray and there is paint damage on corner of rear qtr panel too (I have some lingo from damage done to the bus 2 weeks back.. it's likely a write off).

I guess to get to the point... I would like if anyone can advise on where I stand here? They may well argue that damage is insignificant etc.. they may well try say it wasn't them that did it! Mine's a 171 car and I want it returned to the way it was and don't want traces of overspray etc. There is no question of liability and its a simple prang but how do I keep them honest here and ensure my car gets repaired etc. Do I go to their insurer or do I give them the quote I get and let them decide.. ? Just unsure how to approach it all.

It's been a rough 2 weeks now after my wife spent near week in hospital from accident 2 weeks back, that on top of unfortunate other major issues she has from previous car accidents.

Just want this one to be simple and get my car fixed and not have to spend all my time running around to get it fixed.. when all I was doing was sitting waiting and minding my own business.

Thanks for any help. Paddy

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Move on to this morning and I am helping on school drops, as I have been for last 2 weeks, due to wife's condition and lack of school bus.. and I am sitting in my car waiting on her to come back and someone decides to have a good go at removing the rear corner of the car.. the 1 working one!

I was fairly sure they tried their best to make an escape and I am glad I didn't go get that coffee and instead sat in my car.. I hopped out and got to them before they could get back into traffic and motioned them into side. Needless to say I was not impressed having been driven into 2 weeks back and now again.. albeit not near as serious, but another attempt at our cars!

Anyway, this person seemed really irate at being caught and was more interested in having a go at me for being angry than the damage they had done to my car.

We exchanged details and took pics etc but I get the feeling this person is going to make things very difficult in getting my car fixed to the way it was. There is not major damage but the rear bumper will need a re-spray and there is paint damage on corner of rear qtr panel too (I have some lingo from damage done to the bus 2 weeks back.. it's likely a write off).

I guess to get to the point... I would like if anyone can advise on where I stand here? They may well argue that damage is insignificant etc.. they may well try say it wasn't them that did it! Mine's a 171 car and I want it returned to the way it was and don't want traces of overspray etc. There is no question of liability and its a simple prang but how do I keep them honest here and ensure my car gets repaired etc. Do I go to their insurer or do I give them the quote I get and let them decide.. ? Just unsure how to approach it all.[/B]

OP I've changed the title of your post to make it clearer, and this is the bit of relevance here.

I wouldn't worry. Your car has been crashed into and there is damage. You are clearly the injured party here so I can't see any insurer arguing this case too much. Contact their insurance and get the ball rolling. Let your own insurer know of this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Report to your own insurance.
    Contact their insurance, and start the claim. You get to pick where to have the car repaired. They may want to have their assessor review the damage before the repairs are done.

Advertisement