Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mash

Options
  • 25-09-2018 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

I love salted mashed spuds but I realise too much salt is not good, so I've experimented with other ways of enhancing them without salt.

So far I've tried (not all at once, obviously):

While the spuds are boiling:
    Crushed garlic
    Purple sweet potato

After mashing:
    Finely chopped raw onions (my favourite) or grated leeks
    Olive oil
    Coconut oil (deadly delicious)
    Engervita
    A stock cube
    Plamil mayo
    and I once added a tin of peas to the mash...interesting. :P

Ideas I've read about but not tried yet:
    Samphire
    Walnut oil
    Mashed avocado
    Broccoli cooked with the spuds
    Mustard
    Horseradish (but I have to say I don't like 'spicy' mash)

Post ideas here.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Kale is an obvious one (colcannon)
    Would caramelised onion work? Too sweet maybe.
    Mayo?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Kale would be good. Added to the spud while boiling? Or cooked separately as it doesn't mash?

Tried the mayo thing - too creamy by far for me.

Kale would be good. Added to the spud while boiling? Or cooked separately as it doesn't mash?

Tried the mayo thing - too creamy by far for me.

I cook it separately, chop it up and mix in to the mashed potatoes.

Truffle oil might be worth a shot too.

Spring onions.

Would vegan bacon work?

• Advertisement

Not keen on vegan bacon, for various reasons but thanks for the idea. Spring onions, yes, my favourite is onions finely chopped and mixed in raw with the mash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

I've really started to enjoy creamy mash with vegan Flora butter. It's actually quite nice

eezipc wrote: »
    I've really started to enjoy creamy mash with vegan Flora butter. It's actually quite nice

Right, yes, I've tried with just vegan marge. but it always turns out too creamy for our tastes, though nice in its own right. Have you tried mash with coconut oil mixed in? You shouldn't. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I cook it separately, chop it up and mix in to the mashed potatoes.

Exactly. I know there's a new found trendiness for kale but I was reared in teh stuff (well this time of the year) and always loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Kevg268

Steam spuds and swede(turnip). Add white pepper and use a hand blender.
    Perfect.

• Advertisement

Kevg268 wrote: »
    Steam spuds and swede(turnip). Add white pepper and use a hand blender.
    Perfect.

Sounds really good. On the list!

Roasted garlic is always good. Roasted whole then squeezed out of the skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Kevg268

Sounds really good. On the list!
    No badness and sneaks in extra veg for kids.

Iyers is a vegetarian south Indian cafe down here; they do these baked snacks that are filled with mashed potato, peas and cardamom. They're delicious! Mash is more chunky than creamy.

Might be worth playing around with those ingredients.

Iyers is a vegetarian south Indian cafe down here; they do these baked snacks that are filled with mashed potato, peas and cardamom. They're delicious! Mash is more chunky than creamy.

Might be worth playing around with those ingredients.

Bit like a veggie samosa perhaps? They often have potatoes and peas in them.

Whatever, they sound lovely.

Bit like a veggie samosa perhaps? They often have potatoes and peas in them.

Whatever, they sound lovely.

Samosa, that's it. Couldn't think of the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Mashed spuds with freshly squeezed lemon juice is very nice imo ;)

I tried putting tahini in mash once and it made it very claggy. I hope people understand that word.

Thanks for the ideas people. Keep 'em coming!

Although I'm getting these thoughts together to find ways of doing mash (and maybe other stuff) without salt, it's not to avoid salt altogether. In fact, it could help me feel less guilty when I do use salt! We should try new ideas all the time.

I want to gather everything together in a blog post once I've tasted all these alternatives.

Would cooking the potatoes with some seaweed give it a salty/savoury touch? I don't know.

• Advertisement

Would cooking the potatoes with some seaweed give it a salty/savoury touch? I don't know.

You can get these Japanese spice mixes that contain kombu and other unami type flavours. It might work.

You might want to check if they are vegan of course, Japanese add fish to everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Right, yes, I've tried with just vegan marge. but it always turns out too creamy for our tastes, though nice in its own right. Have you tried mash with coconut oil mixed in? You shouldn't. :D:D

Oh I won't....... Who am I kidding...

I always heat some plant based milk, maybe quarter a cup, and add that in with salt and pepper when mashing.

That’s just always how I have my mash and no good to you as I’ve used salt.

I will definitely be trying the finely chopped onion idea. Sounds real good.

Last night, when the spuds were about half-cooked, I added lots of broccoli and two cloves of garlic. Finished cooking and mashed: gorgeous! No salt.

Served it with creamed leeks (fried chopped leeks, a little flour and water, half a teaspoon of mustard and lots of yeast flakes after cooking, doesn't need salt at all) and steamed carrots and peas with a little oil and black pepper.

Wonderful.

Advertisement