Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMRC VAT Refund refused

Options
  • 25-09-2018 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

I applied for a refund for VAT from HMRC a few months ago, I initially had to wait for 11 weeks for the Irish revenue to register me for VAT. HMRC are now refusing to refund any VAT paid during these 11 weeks as the goods left the UK. Has anyone had any experience with this, I applied through ROS and presumed that it was taken for granted that they would be exports. They mailed me back a few weeks ago to do a spot check on certain invoices. Am at a bit of a loss here as its a fair chunk of money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭kennethrhcp

i'm no expert here & i'm open to correction but from my understanding... you were not VAT registered at the time of making the purchases so the business' you were dealing with in the UK charged you VAT as you couldn't provide a valid VAT registration number.

You now have a VAT registered number, has it been back dated to when you commenced trading? (on or before you started making purchases from the UK?)

If you'll be making more purchases from the UK supplier, you could go to them & ask they issue credit notes against the old invoices which included VAT. Then provide them with your VAT number & they reissue the invoice without VAT. keep the overpaid balance (i.e. the VAT) on account to use against future purchases... not 100% how this would be viewed by Revenue/HMRC but might be a round about way to get to your end goal

Advertisement