Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Family safety, kids account

Options
  • 25-09-2018 9:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone using family safety or have their kids xbox accounts as kids accounts.

I've used it for a couple of years but I'm thinking of turning it off. Kids can hack it and it's just too hard to configure. Since they moved it to the cloud it's useless.

No one else I know uses it. Kids just use adult accounts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭ablelocks

(moved from other thread)

feck, I was going to set that up for my kids this week on pc and xbox. Is it really that bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Might depend on the kid. One of mine has broken every lock I've put on it.
    Unfortunately, they are the one kid who I need to set controls/limits for.

The others just stick to the rules more or less so never needed it.

Worked ok in Windows 7/8 and Xbox 360.

Since they moved to the cloud windows 10/Xbox One and needing their own email, its seem far easier to hack.
    So while the features works well. If the kid can turn it off for themselves which one of mine does, then its all pointless.
    Does something to turn off all the limits I set. He can do it in seconds. On PC or XBox One.

So now I just disable his account on the PC, manually when I need to.

Not sure what you're doing but there should be no way for the kid to turn it off by themselves, it defeats the whole purpose. My best guess is their account is an adult account (as in their original DOB when you first setup their account is over 18 years old). By that I mean you have an actual adult configured as a child, rather than a child configured as a child.

Mine are setup as child accounts (their real DOB) and there is no way around parental controls for them.

Also for those who are not aware of it, it's a lot easier to control via account.microsoft.com

The other possibility is you have your own account set to auto logon. All they need to do is switch to your profile and disable parental controls. Make sure your parent accounts require a pass key to change settings.

Not sure what you're doing but there should be no way for the kid to turn it off by themselves, it defeats the whole purpose. My best guess is their account is an adult account (as in their original DOB when you first setup their account is over 18 years old). By that I mean you have an actual adult configured as a child, rather than a child configured as a child.

Mine are setup as child accounts (their real DOB) and there is no way around parental controls for them.

Also for those who are not aware of it, it's a lot easier to control via account.microsoft.com

The other possibility is you have your own account set to auto logon. All they need to do is switch to your profile and disable parental controls. Make sure your parent accounts require a pass key to change settings.

No they don't know my login (and its not auto logon lol). As some things are blocked that they can't change.

Yes they are kids accounts. As you wouldn't have the option to set up some of the controls unless they were kids accounts. They don't appear for Adult accounts.

It was all working fine for a few months, until he figured out the hack. I can reset the controls, and they work, until he hacks it. Takes him seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭ablelocks

beauf wrote: »
    No they don't know my login (and its not auto logon lol). As some things are blocked that they can't change.

Yes they are kids accounts. As you wouldn't have the option to set up some of the controls unless they were kids accounts. They don't appear for Adult accounts.

It was all working fine for a few months, until he figured out the hack. I can reset the controls, and they work, until he hacks it. Takes him seconds.

huh. he sounds valuable to me. don't MS and other tech reward people who figure this out and report it to them?

put him to work on ethical hacking, sit back, take 40% of his earnings.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It really sounds like one of the accounts that he can access isn't a child/restricted account.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the guest account on the xbox. But I've not figured it out yet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

beauf wrote: »
    I'm thinking it has something to do with the guest account on the xbox. But I've not figured it out yet.

Tell him that if he doesn't walk you through it, you'll give the Xbox to charity? It's either stick to the restrictions or not have an Xbox.

Yeah done that before. He just finds something else to torture us with. He made family safely unusable. So now there's only access for the other kids when I'm physically in the house. Previously I could unlock it remotely.

Other people have reported similar issues with family safety on the web but I've seen no solution to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement