Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should he ignore this?

Options
  • 25-09-2018 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

This notice Comes up on my sons xbox quite a bit.is it ok to ignore it or should we deal with it.he doesn't have emails one drive or photos.he's worried that it will affect his gaming content.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Microsoft are chasing how their family safety and kids accounts work. Its based on date of birth. Which I assume it's another data grab of your data by a tech company.

The Microsoft Family safety system used to work ok. But since they moved it to the cloud it's useless. My kids have broken it. Also it's now way too hard to set up.

I'm going to remove it from my devices.

You'll have to decide how you want it set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

What would be the easiest way to get rid of it?

The account is set up as kids account. It will be linked to parent account. That parent account has to login. Probably did it when you set i up originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

What would be the easiest way to get rid of it?

The easiest way to get rid of it would be to set up a new adult account for your child. The way to get rid of it that you may not want to do is follow the instructions and sign in yourself. You’ll then be asked to provide credit or debit card details to verify that you’re an adult, and Microsoft will do a 50 cent transaction to verify your details. The 50 cent goes to charity if I remember correctly (I had to do it for my child’s account in Windows 10, but the process would be similar).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4090274/microsoft-account-parental-consent-and-child-accounts

beauf wrote: »
    Microsoft are chasing how their family safety and kids accounts work. Its based on date of birth. Which I assume it's another data grab of your data by a tech company.

The Microsoft Family safety system used to work ok. But since they moved it to the cloud it's useless. My kids have broken it. Also it's now way too hard to set up.

I'm going to remove it from my devices.

You'll have to decide how you want it set up.
    You can remove parental controls but it will still work off the original date of birth used when you setup the account. This cannot be changed, the only way to change them to an adult is to setup a brand new account.

The effect of having a child DOB under the ager of 13 on the account is that it is subject to laws and regulations, mostly around online play and data harvesting. e.g. You cannot play EA multiplayer games (there are a few exceptions but most EA games block under 13 accounts) and you cannot do cross platform on Fortnite. This is the developers being lazy, rather than adhering to child laws and regulations they simply block them outright. Take a look at Roblox for a game which has been implemented properly where they do not ban child accounts and instead implement the regulations to protect children online.

• Advertisement

I've changed the DOB on the accounts I used. Though I had to pay MS to do use (verify mine as adult).

They used to allow you to define any account as a Childs account.
    Then they changed it so it worked off the DOB. So I changed the dates I used (which are fake) to date thats work with the rule change.
    Then they changed it so that as child turned 13 they could opt out of stuff.

https://www.quora.com/If-I-make-myself-older-on-Microsoft-will-I-still-need-an-adults-permission-to-add-my-account-to-an-Xbox-One
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12411/microsoft-account-change-birthdate

Again if the child can turn off all the limits they its all a bit pointless.
    I don't think these regulation protect kids. They remove the parents ability to control it. The company gets to harvest the DOB.
    So people turn it off because its so much hassle.

I've changed the DOB on the accounts I used.

They used to allow you to define any account as a Childs account.
    Then they changed it so it worked off the DOB. So I changed the dates I used (which are fake) to date thats work with the rule change.
    Then they changed it so that as child turned 13 they could opt out of stuff.

https://www.quora.com/If-I-make-myself-older-on-Microsoft-will-I-still-need-an-adults-permission-to-add-my-account-to-an-Xbox-One
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12411/microsoft-account-change-birthdate

Again if the child can turn off all the limits they its all a bit pointless.
    I don't think these regulation protect kids. They remove the parents ability to control it. The company gets to harvest the DOB.
    So people turn it off because its so much hassle.
    Maybe we are talking about different things, you cannot change the date that they use to determine a child account. If you setup an account with a child DOB it is stuck forever. You can change the DOB on the account but they retain the original child DOB for the purpose of defining a child account.

It goes without saying a child cannot disable the parent controls, that would just be daft I think there is something else going on with your setup.

The Microsoft page says you can. and I have done it.

Saying its not the "real dob" the account was set up with as if its a hidden setting. Doesn't make sense. As it would ignore the DOB I set if that was true.

They are new accounts on the Xbox One. As I couldn't copy them from the 360. They got corrupt. So I gave up and created them new at the time.

The easiest way to get rid of it would be to set up a new adult account for your child. The way to get rid of it that you may not want to do is follow the instructions and sign in yourself. You’ll then be asked to provide credit or debit card details to verify that you’re an adult, and Microsoft will do a 50 cent transaction to verify your details. The 50 cent goes to charity if I remember correctly (I had to do it for my child’s account in Windows 10, but the process would be similar).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4090274/microsoft-account-parental-consent-and-child-accounts

i did this but i chose to send the the drivers licence picture instead.they sent me a reply saying it wasnt acceptable???!!!!.they never said why though.i might go down the 50 cent road this time.

if i set up a new adult account for the child does he loose any gaming content?that is all he is worried about nothing else.

You might best just ringing Microsoft and asking them.

I looked at this online and MS are so bad at giving a clear answer online, I just gave up.

Forum posts all contradict each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Jimmy100

I had something similar happen a couple of years ago. beauf is correct that the original birth date is retained and follows the account forever, or at least that is what the Xbox CS rep told me. I would call them, as a precaution to his possibly losing content if he switches to a new account - even one in the same family. I would also highly recommend if you do set up a new account, to not link any credit cards to it, as depending on where he goes or what he plays he's vulnerable to hacking. Set the parent account as the only one with a credit card linked to pay for Live, if you have it. I speak from a €89 loss experience. Buy him gift cards or online codes for what he wants. If it happens to you, you only get one chance to reverse those charges.

You might best just ringing Microsoft and asking them.

I looked at this online and MS are so bad at giving a clear answer online, I just gave up.

Forum posts all contradict each other.

Yea i think ill do that.thanks for the replys lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭gmg678

I got that message last week for my son. I just logged in as the adult and it went away. takes all of  3mins to do.

gmg678 wrote: »
    I got that message last week for my son. I just logged in as the adult and it went away. takes all of  3mins to do.

So that's all you did?nothing else.at the moment he logs i never go near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭gmg678

gmg678 wrote: »

So that's all you did?nothing else.at the moment he logs i never go near it.
    yeah. I have family account set up. so I have a  profile on the Xbox and he is assigned to it with his own gamer tag.

so when the message popped up I put in my email and password and that was it. if you have two factor security on your email, you will just need to confirm the login. its quite fast to do.

I can just point out that I have two kids on the xbox. Ones email ends in .ie the other .com. when I did the .com one I had to pay 50c if it to be approved. so just be weary of that.

It will keep asking you if they want to install stuff, or install stuff outside their age group etc.

Depends on how you have profiles set up, as you can turn it all off or certain bits on.

Advertisement