Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Previous tenancy not registered with RTB now with 100% hike

Options
  • 24-09-2018 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I am interested in renting a property that has been rented previously for many years. The asking rent is without doubt a huge leap from the previous tenants. It is in a rent pressure zone but what they are asking is definitely more than 4% increase on last tenants.
    The landlord did some refurbishments but these would have only been minor (new carpets).
    The property doesn't seem to have been registered previously with the RTB.
    If I was to contact the RTB is there anything they can do?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Dublindamo wrote: »
    I am interested in renting a property that has been rented previously for many years. The asking rent is without doubt a huge leap from the previous tenants. It is in a rent pressure zone but what they are asking is definitely more than 4% increase on last tenants.
    The landlord did some refurbishments but these would have only been minor (new carpets).
    The property doesn't seem to have been registered previously with the RTB.
    If I was to contact the RTB is there anything they can do?

How do you know what the last rent was, or even if it was rented at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Unfortunately it seems that only the new tenant can bring forward a complaint to the rtb in instances like this which makes no sense when it comes to rules being broken by the landlord and security of the previous tenants. Of course I agree that a landlord can adjust to market price by following the rule i.e eviction due to substantial structural upgrades as outlined by the rtb but unfortunately most cases are not like this, there is no regulation or checks done afterwards and what new tenant will put their tenancy at risk by making a complaint on behalf of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

I am interested in renting a property......

What you are thinking of doing is a surefire way of making sure you dont get that property.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dublindamo

4ensic15 wrote: »
    How do you know what the last rent was, or even if it was rented at all?
    Th estate agent confirmed how long it was rented for previously. Didn't state the amount it rented for but considering the asking rent now it is very safe to say it is more than a 4% increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Th estate agent confirmed how long it was rented for previously. Didn't state the amount it rented for but considering the asking rent now it is very safe to say it is more than a 4% increase.

Pure speculation. Without any real evidence you are wasting yours and the PTRBs time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

So you don't actually know the previous rent? Your title says it's 100% increase and now you're saying it's definitely over 4%?

Advertisement