Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine Broadband Speed

Options
  • 24-09-2018 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I live in rural Ireland (Wexford) and am currently using wireless mobile broadband with EIR and Vodafone. The speeds I get are about 5Mb/s which is awful.

The alternatives, Satellite, Fixed Mobile all get very mixed reviews.

Recently I got a call from Imagine who have placed me on a waiting list for what they claim is 60-70 Mb/s. I expect when they do have a slot for me I will have to decide on the spot so I would like to be ready to decide.

I have read through some of the threads here and most of the issues with Imagine seem to be with daily caps rather the speed but most of the posts are quite old.

Can anyone advise me if the speed claims are genuine or even half so or have they deteriorated over the years.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Caps dont seem to be enforced for the last couple of months - haven't seen any reports of ppl getting the warning mails in a good while. Speeds will be fine during the day but be prepared for them to drop during peak hours - I tend to get between 10 - 20 during peak and 60-80 off-peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

morgana wrote: »
    Caps dont seem to be enforced for the last couple of months - haven't seen any reports of ppl getting the warning mails in a good while. Speeds will be fine during the day but be prepared for them to drop during peak hours - I tend to get between 10 - 20 during peak and 60-80 off-peak.

Thanks for that morgana even 10- 20 would be an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

MerryHell wrote: »
    Hi,

I live in rural Ireland (Wexford) and am currently using wireless mobile broadband with EIR and Vodafone. The speeds I get are about 5Mb/s which is awful.

The alternatives, Satellite, Fixed Mobile all get very mixed reviews.

Recently I got a call from Imagine who have placed me on a waiting list for what they claim is 60-70 Mb/s. I expect when they do have a slot for me I will have to decide on the spot so I would like to be ready to decide.

I have read through some of the threads here and most of the issues with Imagine seem to be with daily caps rather the speed but most of the posts are quite old.

Can anyone advise me if the speed claims are genuine or even half so or have they deteriorated over the years.

Any help would be appreciated.

Depends how lucky you are regarding the mast your signal comes from. Have a friend who gets 5mb, but my sister who is fed from same mast gets 90mb all the time, she has direct line of sight and about 2km away.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

_Brian wrote: »
    Depends how lucky you are regarding the mast your signal comes from. Have a friend who gets 5mb, but my sister who is fed from same mast gets 90mb all the time, she has direct line of sight and about 2km away.

Same mast different sector I suspect.

Advertisement