Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a house in Limerick.

Options
  • 24-09-2018 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi, just recieved notice from our landlord that he intends to move back into the house so we have to move.
    We are a family of 5, 2 adults 3 kids.
    I work full time, wife works part time and we recieve hap.
    The rents where we live are astronomical, compared to what we pay now.
    Genuinely dont know what we are going to do. Its a nightmare.
    Anyone know of someone renting a house in the annacotty, castletroy, cadtleconnell areas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

md323 wrote: »
    Hi, just recieved notice from our landlord that he intends to move back into the house so we have to move.
    We are a family of 5, 2 adults 3 kids.
    I work full time, wife works part time and we recieve hap.
    The rents where we live are astronomical, compared to what we pay now.
    Genuinely dont know what we are going to do. Its a nightmare.
    Anyone know of someone renting a house in the annacotty, castletroy, cadtleconnell areas?

Have a look at daft.ie Limerick. and good luck..

https://www.daft.ie/limerick/residential-property-for-rent/

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭md323

Graces7 wrote: »
    Have a look at daft.ie Limerick. and good luck..

https://www.daft.ie/limerick/residential-property-for-rent/

I have been looking since we got the notice, everything is above what we can afford unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

What's your price range? You may have to consider moving further out from those city areas you've mentioned, think of maybe Kilmallock, Bruff, Croom, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

GoneHome wrote: »
    What's your price range? You may have to consider moving further out from those city areas you've mentioned, think of maybe Kilmallock, Bruff, Croom, etc

Wise words. Also ask all the local agents as sometimes they have properties that are not listed.

GoneHome wrote: »

Have kids on school in this area, don't want to move them. I know beggers cant be choosers but just hoping someone might know someone looking to rent a house to a family. Price range is around the 1000euro mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭dennyk

What's your budget? A 4BR in Limerick or the closest towns/suburbs will run you €1300-€1500. If you need something cheaper, you'll need to look for 3BR places (€1000-€1200 around Limerick) and have some of the kids share, or look further outside the city and deal with the commute; many 4BRs can be had for around €1000 out towards Ennis, and a few in the rural areas in other directions sometimes. (If that's still not cheap enough, 3BRs out that far can be had for €800-900...) Annacotty/Castletroy is an expensive area these days, so relocating may be necessary no matter what, I'm afraid.

I see you said €1000. You won't find any 4br in your current area for that price, I'm afraid. If you're willing to downgrade to a 3br, here's one in Annacotty:
    https://www.daft.ie/limerick/houses-for-rent/annacotty/carrigeen-annacotty-limerick-1869086/

And one in Castleconnell:
    https://www.daft.ie/limerick/apartments-for-rent/castleconnell/coolbane-castleconnell-limerick-1868114/

There is a 4br in Thomondgate for about that price:
    https://www.daft.ie/limerick/apartments-for-rent/thomondgate/high-road-thomondgate-limerick-1870400/

though there may well be a reason it's so cheap (no other 4br properties at that price anywhere in the city).

If you must have 4br, you're likely going to have no choice but to look well outside Limerick proper. Ennis might be your best bet; decent selection of properties there, and 30 minutes to the centre or 45-60 to Castleconnell from there if you head through the city to skip the tunnel toll. Otherwise it's a bit of a toss-up; sometimes stuff comes up in the surrounding towns in other directions (Kilmallock, Bruff, Murroe, Rathkeale if you're that desperate, etc.), but it's hit or miss.

dennyk wrote: »
    I see you said €1000. You won't find any 4br in your current area for that price, I'm afraid. If you're willing to downgrade to a 3br, here's one in Annacotty:
    https://www.daft.ie/limerick/houses-for-rent/annacotty/carrigeen-annacotty-limerick-1869086/

And one in Castleconnell:
    https://www.daft.ie/limerick/apartments-for-rent/castleconnell/coolbane-castleconnell-limerick-1868114/

There is a 4br in Thomondgate for about that price:
    https://www.daft.ie/limerick/apartments-for-rent/thomondgate/high-road-thomondgate-limerick-1870400/

though there may well be a reason it's so cheap (no other 4br properties at that price anywhere in the city).

If you must have 4br, you're likely going to have no choice but to look well outside Limerick proper. Ennis might be your best bet; decent selection of properties there, and 30 minutes to the centre or 45-60 to Castleconnell from there if you head through the city to skip the tunnel toll. Otherwise it's a bit of a toss-up; sometimes stuff comes up in the surrounding towns in other directions (Kilmallock, Bruff, Murroe, Rathkeale if you're that desperate, etc.), but it's hit or miss.

A 3bedroom would be fine. Thats what we have now. Its a house we would be looking for, not apartments.
    Thank you gor your help.

You might end up having to settle for an apartment if you want to stay in your current area; will just depend on what all becomes available before you have to leave. If you'd be willing to relocate, there's a fair number of three-bedroom houses that can be had elsewhere in Limerick proper, though. Just keep checking Daft every day and be ready to jump on something immediately if a suitable place comes up.

dennyk wrote: »
    You might end up having to settle for an apartment if you want to stay in your current area; will just depend on what all becomes available before you have to leave. If you'd be willing to relocate, there's a fair number of three-bedroom houses that can be had elsewhere in Limerick proper, though. Just keep checking Daft every day and be ready to jump on something immediately if a suitable place comes up.

Fair play. Thanks for your help.
    Have emailed a good few property agents to see if they have anything coming up soon.
    Fingers crossed

• Advertisement

Hi all.
    Just noticed that the house we were living in is back up on the rtb website as being rented out.
    We were told that the landlord was moving back in but it looks like that wasnt the case.
    Is there somewhere I can report him?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

RTB I suppose. And a local TD of the lefty variety. That's pure scummy thing to do by that LL, not surprising either.

It looks like that is what he has done.
    It was never advertised though as I was keeping an eye out for it because I had my doubts about his intentions.
    I was keeping an eye on the rtb website aswell.
    It only came up yesterday as having a tenancy registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

It looks like that is what he has done.
    It was never advertised though as I was keeping an eye out for it because I had my doubts about his intentions.
    I was keeping an eye on the rtb website aswell.
    It only came up yesterday as having a tenancy registered.

But... but... this cannot be the case. According to this forum all landlords are fine upstanding citizens.

Best of luck OP, hope you nail this ****er to the wall.

Did you get sorted in the end?

Got sorted.
    Paying an extra 300euro a month though.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

Got sorted.
    Paying an extra 300euro a month though.

Make a complaint to the RTB. You vacated the property based on an invalid notice of termination. It should have been accompanied by a Statutory Declaration from your landlord, which he has now shown to be false. Under s 51 of the Civil Law (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2008 the penalty for making a false Statutory Declaration is a €3,000 fine and/or 6 months imprisonment.

You should seek from the RTB that the landlord compensate you for

1. Any expenses you occured in moving (keep receipts for these)

2. The difference between your old rent and the new rent you are paying for the period which you've already paid and for the remainder of whatever time period you had left in your Part 4 tenancy (e.g. if you would have had 2 years remaining before the expiry of your Part 4 cycle, then you should seek to be awarded 24 x €300 = €7200)

I've seen this type of award being ordered in cases where there has been an unlawful termination of tenancy like this.

Subutai wrote: »
    Make a complaint to the RTB. You vacated the property based on an invalid notice of termination. It should have been accompanied by a Statutory Declaration from your landlord, which he has now shown to be false. Under s 51 of the Civil Law (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2008 the penalty for making a false Statutory Declaration is a €3,000 fine and/or 6 months imprisonment.

You should seek from the RTB that the landlord compensate you for

1. Any expenses you occured in moving (keep receipts for these)

2. The difference between your old rent and the new rent you are paying for the period which you've already paid and for the remainder of whatever time period you had left in your Part 4 tenancy (e.g. if you would have had 2 years remaining before the expiry of your Part 4 cycle, then you should seek to be awarded 24 x €300 = €7200)

I've seen this type of award being ordered in cases where there has been an unlawful termination of tenancy like this.

Should i contact a solicitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

No need. You'll just add cost to yourself.

Landlord is an idiot though. Limerick isn't even in the RPZ. Did they give you a statutory declaration setting out the reason for cessation of the tenancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

It is possible he rented it to his family members?

If you can afford legal advice then it would be wise to get it. Note that your legal costs won't be refunded by the RTB. You can get free legal advice from the likes of FLAC however, which may help with any particularities of your situation.

I should also mention, costs associated with the move include any increased living costs arising from it, not just rent. If you're not facing a longer or otherwise more expensive commute, for example, you should document this.

• Advertisement

It is possible he rented it to his family members?

Hard to see why he would advertise it in that case.

Not that it matters. The family member seeking to take occupation of the property must be outlined in the notice of termination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Op,you need to confirm a few things.

Was the notice of termination given in writing or said verbally and then you looked for a place based on that?

If you did get notice in writing, what grounds did the landlord specifically cite

If it was for own use or family member use, did you receive a statutory declaration?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Subutai wrote:
    Not that it matters. The family member seeking to take occupation of the property must be outlined in the notice of termination.

Subutai wrote:
    Hard to see why he would advertise it in that case.

The op said it was never advertised so that is why I was wondering if it was rented to the family member

Browney7 wrote: »
    Op,you need to confirm a few things.

Was the notice of termination given in writing or said verbally and then you looked for a place based on that?

If you did get notice in writing, what grounds did the landlord specifically cite

If it was for own use or family member use, did you receive a statutory declaration?

It was given in writing.

He said he was moving into the house.

I asked for a statutory declaration on occasions but he never gave it to me

Advertisement