Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hit by a drunk driver

Options
  • 23-09-2018 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi. Myself and my family were hit at about 80km/hr head on by a drunk driver. Thank god nothing more than bumps and aches and pains at the moment and everyone walked away OK. Driver was very drunk he couldn't say his own name, or walk in a straight line, and tried to run from the scene. He's yet to produce his licence and insurance to the Gardaí. It's my first time being in an accident, having to deal with insurance and gardai. Any tips or advice from any one who's been through it before?thanks in advance.
    K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

Write your statements while it’s fresh in your head and try get any witnesses to do the same. We were hit by a drunk driver a good few years ago and it took about 3 years to get our claim sorted. He tried to argue we were in the wrong - only the taxi behind us gave his number at the time we would have been screwed. No guards attended our accident - it was quite minor but he was very obviously drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Had an incident like this years ago. Drunk English guy driving smashed after drinking 12 pints. Garda reckoned he was at risk from absconding so he was dropped off to spend the weekend in prison before being charged. .

He gave a false address to Gardai. On visiting the yard where both cars had been towed - the actual hire car details including name and correct address on paperwork were found in his car.

Just saying....

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kimi

Sinus pain wrote: »
    Write your statements while it’s fresh in your head and try get any witnesses to do the same. We were hit by a drunk driver a good few years ago and it took about 3 years to get our claim sorted. He tried to argue we were in the wrong - only the taxi behind us gave his number at the time we would have been screwed. No guards attended our accident - it was quite minor but he was very obviously drunk
    Thank you. There were 4 gardaí on the scene. 4 other drivers informed me the gave their details to the guards and were happy to give statements when needed. Gosh 3 years is a long time waiting to put everything behind you. Hope all is well now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kimi

gozunda wrote: »
    Had an incident like this years ago. Drunk English guy driving smashed after drinking 12 pints. Garda reckoned he was at risk from absconding so he was dropped off to spend the weekend in prison before being charged. .

He gave a false address to Gardai. On visiting the yard where both cars had been towed - the actual hire car details including name and correct address on paperwork were found in his car.

Just saying....

Gosh that's awful they had the cheek to give false names. The passanger was also drunk. Both brought to the gardai station. The Sargent dealing with the case is back to work tomorrow so hopfully I should have more details by then. Thanks for your help

Advertisement