Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance questions

Options
  • 23-09-2018 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi all,

I’m in my thirties and haven’t had a car in over two years. Previous to this I was insured on my own car for 7 years. I’m buying a car this week and have been looking for quotes. It’ll be over 3k per annum as I now understand that I’ll be treated as a new driver. I have no convictions or claims against me. Would the fact that I had a 5 years no claim discount reduce my new insurance premium? I’ll call the insurance company tomorrow but was only made aware today that this might have an effect. Or do the insurance companies take that into account?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,382 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I believe your no-claims record effectively expires after two years without insurance. So you've lost it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Dark Knight 81

coylemj wrote: »
    I believe your no-claims record effectively expires after two years without insurance. So you've lost it.

For most places I rang today the no claims had expired but there was one that took it into consideration when giving me a quote. Thanks for your reply 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 25,382 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

For most places I rang today the no claims had expired but there was one that took it into consideration when giving me a quote. Thanks for your reply ��

That's a positive for them. No harm to name them so others in your situation can ask them for a quote and potentially steer some business their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Give Kennco a call they take bonuses up to three years, they won't give you a the full discount for it but will give you a nice Chuck if you had a till bonus.

Advertisement