Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking a Barber to Reshape Beard

Options
  • 23-09-2018 4:55pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭


    I'm just curious to know if anyone asks their barber to do this for them. I know it's fairly well known that some men ask for a shave but actual styling and reshaping of the beard would take a lot more skill. I bought one of those beard shaping templates but it ended up being more difficult than I imagined it would be.

    I have usually just elected to go for a short full beard, which is easy enough to maintain, but I'm quite interested in a narrower, sharper version. I'm currently going to a Turkish barber and it seems as though they offer a wide range of services so I don't see why they wouldn't do it. Do any of you ask for this service?


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 7 mrnoel


    Pug160 wrote: »
    I'm just curious to know if anyone asks their barber to do this for them. I know it's fairly well known that some men ask for a shave but actual styling and reshaping of the beard would take a lot more skill. I bought one of those beard shaping templates but it ended up being more difficult than I imagined it would be.

    I have usually just elected to go for a short full beard, which is easy enough to maintain, but I'm quite interested in a narrower, sharper version. I'm currently going to a Turkish barber and it seems as though they offer a wide range of services so I don't see why they wouldn't do it. Do any of you ask for this service?

    I have tried to get my beard shaped by many barbers and I've never been happy with the end product, the most difficult part of growing a beard is maintaining and I'm trying to learn to do it myself using combs and scissors and cordless beard trimmer. Every attempt I get better and often have just got fed up of making a mess and shave it off, I've never tried a shaping template but I imagine that every face and hair growth is different and would not suit a lot of people. Good luck with it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco


    Perhaps look into getting a shavette? Have one for beard shaping on my cheeks, and find it good for what I use it for.

    If using a barber, I recommend that you use the same person all the time, so it becomes easier to communicate what you want, rather than just going to the same barbershop, and having a random barber shaping your beard each time.


  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor


    I'd be the same, never really been happy with the beard trim from the barbers. So now I just get them to do the cheek line and fade the sideburns while getting the hair cut, then take care of the rest myself. Just takes practice and a steady hand.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160


    I visited my barber today and got him to shape it - although it wasn't anything dramatic - it's still a short full beard. He trimmed the moustache part of my beard without me asking for it but it looks grand anyway. He seems fairly competent so if I do elect to go for something narrower I think it will look well. It would then be a matter of following the lines he has created. I hadn't actually heard of a shavette but I was looking at a straight razor.

    I know beards have their detractors and they are very common these days, but it has become apparent to me that they can definitely look decent if they're taken care off correctly and shaped reasonably well. I'd also imagine that a half decent barber could make good money off the back of it as well.


  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco


    Pug160 wrote: »
    I hadn't actually heard of a shavette but I was looking at a straight razor.
    I use the shavette to keep the beard at around the halfway point of my cheek. I do this, as I found that if having it trimmed, there'd be less beard on one cheek than the other, so it didn't look great after having been to the barbers in the past. However, now that I shave it, I can have the beard trimmed closer to my face.

    In the below, I got the barber to put a bit of a "V" on my beard.
    466060.jpg


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭long_b


    Can anyone recommend a barber in city center for a trim and a bit of shaping? First cut so a bit nervous


  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco


    long_b wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a barber in city center for a trim and a bit of shaping? First cut so a bit nervous
    Not the CC, but maybe check out The Village Barbers in Ranelagh?


Advertisement