Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house - do I need UAN for broadband?

Options
  • 23-09-2018 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Getting keys to a second hand house this week. So I'll be canceling broadband in my current house and use a different provider in the other house. But I don't have the UAN of the new house, do I need it? Or will the address of the house be ok? Should I ask the estate agent to get UAN from the current owners?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

toby2111 wrote: »
    Getting keys to a second hand house this week. So I'll be canceling broadband in my current house and use a different provider in the other house. But I don't have the UAN of the new house, do I need it? Or will the address of the house be ok? Should I ask the estate agent to get UAN from the current owners?

You only need the UAN, if the line there is still active. The UAN is used for migrating active services.

It is also needed, if you want to keep your existing phone number.

In any other scenario, it shouldn't matter.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Marlow wrote: »
    You only need the UAN, if the line there is still active.

If it isn't, it shouldn't matter.

/M
    The line is active as the sellers have broadband as I saw the router...question is,whats the best way to get the UAN??
    EDIT-Or do I move my current UAN to the new house??If that makes sense....

The line is active as the sellers have broadband as I saw the router...question is,whats the best way to get the UAN??
    EDIT-Or do I move my current UAN to the new house??If that makes sense....

It doesn't work that way. The UAN changes on a line, when services are shuffled around. You never move it to a different place. It's just a reference to identify an active line and when you change from one provider to another.

Also .. having a router in the house doesn't tell you, that it's on OpenEIRs network. It could be on SIRO or Virgin or an entire different operator. It could even just be a router with a 3G/4G SIM in it.

The UAN only applies for OpenEIR/Eir based services. Other networks work differently.

What you need is a copy of the last invoice and permission of whoever has the broadband connection now, to change it into your name. And the only way you're going to find out about that is by talking to your real-estate guy or whoever was in the house before you.

/M

Cheers,I dont understand how these things work!so I'm thinking of signing up with Sky fibre in the new address.I presume the current owners will have cancelled their phone/broadband services.Thats why I thought if I had the UAN,I could just sign up with Sky.....

Cheers,I dont understand how these things work!so I'm thinking of signing up with Sky fibre in the new address.I presume the current owners will have cancelled their phone/broadband services.Thats why I thought if I had the UAN,I could just sign up with Sky.....

Sky fibre is only VDSL at the moment. They're only trialing real fibre connections.

Are you urban or rural ? Because if you're rural, you may be in for a bit of a disaster. I'd double-check with the real-estate manager, what speeds are/were available there.

/M

• Advertisement

Urban. I put in address on eir site and it says speeds up to 100mbps. Was also onto sky webchat and they said the same.I've a friend in the estate who says speeds are goods as its near a cabinet.So,what exactly do I need to get broadband in this new address?

Urban. I put in address on eir site and it says speeds up to 100mbps. Was also onto sky webchat and they said the same.I've a friend in the estate who says speeds are goods as its near a cabinet.So,what exactly do I need to get broadband in this new address?

Speeds up to 100 Mbit/s is VDSL. It's what Eir call "eFibre", but it's not fibre at all. It's only fibre up to the cabinet.

You can get that from anyone in this list: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

Do your research and pick the provider that you figure has the best deal.

The thing is just, if you only check with Eir, then you will never find out, if SIRO or Virgin cover you. They're completely different networks. Eir is only one of many options in an Urban scenario and most of the others provide far more speed.

/M

Virgin not available but SIRO is but it seems expensive.Sky have broadband for €30 per month and I had it before with them in my current house.It was fine for what I use it for-general browsing,netflix etc. I'm not a huge user. We're hoping to get the keys this week so I'm just trying to figure out the quickest way to get broadband ordered into the house.

Virgin not available but SIRO is but it seems expensive.Sky have broadband for €30 per month and I had it before with them in my current house.It was fine for what I use it for-general browsing,netflix etc. I'm not a huge user. We're hoping to get the keys this week so I'm just trying to figure out the quickest way to get broadband ordered into the house.

Sky have the reputation of increasing the pricing half way through the contract.

Most providers on SIRO are currently running a promotion and it's one of the best networks, if not the best network, in the country.

And for the overall 45 EUR per month, that a SIRO connection costs (over 18 months period), you'd hardly get any sort of broadband from for example Eir over that same period. I can't see how that's expensive.

But at least you've got plenty of choices there.

/M

Ok ,so what information do I need if I'm going to sign up with Sky?And what information if its SIRO?EDIT-just checked address,SIRO not available yet.

• Advertisement

Ok ,so what information do I need if I'm going to sign up with Sky?And what information if its SIRO?

Either of them: your eircode. If it's phone line based, it's sometimes helpful to have the previous phone number for the line in the new house.

And if the line is still active, then you may need the UAN. But only then.

/M

SIRO not available yet so it'll have to be Sky or Eir or Vodafone

SIRO not available yet so it'll have to be Sky or Eir or Vodafone

Sky and Vodafone can migrate you to SIRO, once it becomes available. Eir can't. So either of those two would be the best choice, if that's your shortlist.

/M

Ok,think I'll go with Sky so. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for your help

Advertisement