Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I do ordinary level Applied Maths without studying at all if I do HL Maths and Ph

Options
  • 23-09-2018 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Just wondering. I'm doing 8 subjects (maths,Irish,English, biology,physics, chemistry and economics)

Can I do OL applied maths without studying for it at all if I do HL Maths and Physics? Idk I want to do applied maths but I don't want to do it at HL. Could I do good at OL if I study for it the day before if I do HL Maths and Physics?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

naxmax9 wrote: »
    Just wondering. I'm doing 8 subjects (maths,Irish,English, biology,physics, chemistry and economics)

Can I do OL applied maths without studying for it at all if I do HL Maths and Physics? Idk I want to do applied maths but I don't want to do it at HL. Could I do good at OL if I study for it the day before if I do HL Maths and Physics?
    Make sure you pay special attention to English.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭naxmax9

*if I do HL Maths and Physics

Make sure you pay special attention to English.

It's an internet forum...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

You want to do Appled Maths but you only want to do it the day before the exam? Do you really want to do it then?

It's an entirely different subject with its own syllabus. You can't just do it on the day before.

Peregrine wrote: »
    You want to do Appled Maths but you only want to do it the day before the exam? Do you really want to do it then?

It's an entirely different subject with its own syllabus. You can't just do it on the day before.

I thought it was just mehanics with a few twists, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I did all three of those subjects at higher level, albeit 18 years ago. Not sure how much the courses have changed since then. Back then some of the applied maths topics appeared in both the maths and physics course but usually in a more complex form. If you were doing it at ordinary level then perhaps you could pass it without doing any studying whatsoever but frankly I don't see the point. You won't be using it for your CAO points and if the schedules are still similar you'll be finishing your exams about a week after everyone else (in 2000 it was on the final day of all the exams)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I thought it was just mehanics with a few twists, no?

It is mechanics but you've barely covered mechanics. It's more in depth than anything on the physics syllabus. It's been a few years since I've looked at them but if I remember correctly the likes of projectiles, pulleys, collisions etc. aren't even mentioned on the physics syllabus and differential equations were removed from the maths syllabus. You could probably cover the linear motion chapter with ease though.

Trust me, it wouldn't be a different subject if it could be done in a day. Even at OL.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AntoinBreathnac

Many years ago I also did hI gherkin maths and physics and decided to also sit order level applied maths. I did look at typicall questions for a few afternoons well in advancentral of exams but not enough to take time from main't study. Thenjoy after last longer exam I studied for whatever time was left before applied maths exam.

I easily got an A in order level and in hindsight figured I shoUldale have done a bit moreally and did honours. Getting good mark would be difficult but a Christmas would be achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Honestly naxmax, you need to chill bigtime. What exactly would the purpose be of you doing OL Applied Maths with no study? Just to say you did Applied Maths? You presumably won't be counting it for points going by your other threads, and by your own admission you are already doing 8 subjects. You have enough on your plate. What good will OL Applied Maths do?

You really shouldn't be stressing so much about percentages in class tests one month into fifth year. By all means do your work, lots of fifth years don't, but stressing about the wording of a question in a class test and wondering if revise wise books are enough to study from (at this point in the year they aren't), isn't healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I did all three of those subjects at higher level, albeit 18 years ago. Not sure how much the courses have changed since then. Back then some of the applied maths topics appeared in both the maths and physics course but usually in a more complex form. If you were doing it at ordinary level then perhaps you could pass it without doing any studying whatsoever but frankly I don't see the point. You won't be using it for your CAO points and if the schedules are still similar you'll be finishing your exams about a week after everyone else (in 2000 it was on the final day of all the exams)

its still the very last exam, the afternoon of the last Friday. when everyone else was out celebrating and letting off steam and heading away on holidays, my son was still waiting for that last blasted exam.

• Advertisement
Advertisement