Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

651 Error

Options
  • 23-09-2018 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭

I keep getting a 651 error message when I try to connect my router via ethernet - it's fine on wifi. Google has revealed that this is likely to be a registry error. Is there an easy way to repair this ? I don't want to mess up the computer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Screenshot?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

ayt54y.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Why are you trying to use PPPOE?

I stream video from my pc via chromecast. I am trying to reduce the load on the wifi network by linking the computer & router with an ethernet cable. It used to work well until the 651 appeared & I was no longer able to log on via ethernet.

All the information online suggests a registry error. I downloaded & ran some registry repair/restore software, Glary Utilities, which found several errors & repaired them but the 651 is still happening.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Discodog wrote: »
    I stream video from my pc via chromecast. I am trying to reduce the load on the wifi network by linking the computer & router with an ethernet cable. It used to work well until the 651 appeared & I was no longer able to log on via ethernet.

All the information online suggests a registry error. I downloaded & ran some registry repair/restore software, Glary Utilities, which found several errors & repaired them but the 651 is still happening.

Registry cleaners are a scam, and will almost always cause way more problems than they solve.

I'm curious as to your set up. You're connecting your pc to the router with a network cable? And the Chromecast is connected with WiFi?

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    Registry cleaners are a scam, and will almost always cause way more problems than they solve.

I'm curious as to your set up. You're connecting your pc to the router with a network cable? And the Chromecast is connected with WiFi?

Yes. Ethernet from the router to the PC. Wifi, via usb plug in, to the Chromecast. The PC was connecting perfectly,via the cable for ages with no problem. Then suddenly the 651 appears.

Advertisement