Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe tips for selling a bike

Options
  • 23-09-2018 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

The CBR is going up for sale, moving for something a little more comfortable over longer distances.

I'm looking for tips to make sure that someone doesn't just turn up, take her for a spin and that's the last I see of her.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Why would you let someone take a spin on it....unless they leave the cash with you...:confused:..no tips .its common sense...

Get a mate with you..lads usually come in a car/group..leave any locks ON the bike...even if someone comes in the latest BMW and leaves the keys with you..dont let him have a spin...cash is king..

• Registered Users Posts: 38 irish snowblower

Meet them in a public place do not bring them to where the bike is stored. Do not give out your address or post code to anyone. As said already no cash no test drive no matter what they are driving it could be stolen. If possible try not to get involved with test messages you will be answering stupid questions at four in the morning offering you a swap for a field bike. I have been driving bikes for 29 years buying and selling about 15 to 20 bikes over the years, I now try to deal with dealers, I know I am paying a lot extra for what I get but the hassle of dealing with time wasters is very annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm with Snowblower on the dealers. Almost all my transactions are with dealers these days.

But my son buys and sells a lot of car's and bikes privately, and we're fairly strict. You leave all the money with us, preferable a friend too or there's simply no test.

But we try discourage test rides anyway.

But cash up front every time, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Zebbedee

I'm not even sure I'd be happy with the 'holding the cash' scenario.
    Lots of counterfeit cash out there. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Zebbedee wrote: »
    I'm not even sure I'd be happy with the 'holding the cash' scenario.
    Lots of counterfeit cash out there. :(

You can easily buy a pen to check the cash.

For the first meeting meet in a public place with CCTV. For the sale the person most likely will want to meet at your address, just as many scammers on both sides, so it's up to you if you want the sale or not.

Don't forget about the burner SIM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tbh when I'm buying cars I prefer to meet at the person's address.

It goes both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I've bought and sold just short of 30 bikes. I usually vet the interested party first with the obvious questions to see if the bike is for them and gauge if they're a scumbag that wants to rob me or not.

If I had a doubt about a genuine buyer I wouldn't meet where the bike is stored. Anyone else is welcome at my house but the whole transaction is filmed by several HD security cameras :D

I've had a couple of buyers transfer money up front for certain bikes only to see if when they take delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

No texts
    Ring to arrange viewing
    No offers over the phone - if it's the bike for him he will call to see it ASAP
    No cash = No test ride
    Take a pic of his licence before the test ride

I go by the above, and when they call it's hard to miss the cctv cameras and the very annoyed German Shepard that's just been put in her pen because a stranger has just called ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

When ever I sell cars I prefer texts, rather than some person randomly ringing and talking on and on. Text is straight to the point, generally!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

listermint wrote: »
    Tbh when I'm buying cars I prefer to meet at the person's address.

It goes both ways.

I'm with you on that, if someone wanted to meet in a public place rather than their house I'd assume it's a scam and I'd probably pull out of the deal!

Forget about test rides, I wouldn't allow one even with cash unless I knew them.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'm with you on that, if someone wanted to meet in a public place rather than their house I'd assume it's a scam and I'd probably pull out of the deal!

Forget about test rides, I wouldn't allow one even with cash unless I knew them.
    If someone I didn't know insisted on coming to my house to view a bike I'd pull out of the deal.
    I'm with you on the no test rides even with cash though unless I know them.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

I get what you are all saying about no test rides and why however, how does a perspective buyer know the bike is running properly without test riding it?
    I will be in the market soon so would like to test ride any bike I may potentially be handing over €5k for.
    There must be a compromise somewhere that is satisfactory for both a buyer and seller.
    Personally I've only ever sold cars and normally meet in a public place first (usually somewhere I would arrive early and have a good vantage point for a dashcam) and get a feel for the potential buyer. If the sale is gonna go ahead after that I have no problem with the buyer coming to my house.
    I understand with a bike its a little different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

If someone I didn't know insisted on coming to my house to view a bike I'd pull out of the deal.
    I'm with you on the no test rides even with cash though unless I know them.

Yeah, I don't want to be a jerk here, but sure as hell I'm not buying a bike unless I can test ride it. I'd be baffled at the idea of anyone buying a used bike from a non-dealership without riding it for at least 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't want to be a jerk here, but sure as hell I'm not buying a bike unless I can test ride it. I'd be baffled at the idea of anyone buying a used bike from a non-dealership without riding it for at least 15 minutes.

Yep, no chance me handing you money for a bike i havent a clue about outside of the owner (who can say anything they want) not letting my test it out.

You'd have to keep the bike and id be on my way to the next place where i can make sure the engine is running right at speed or the forks are not pulling to the left or the gear action is fluid.

Nothing that some owner who just wants the money can hide.

jim salter wrote: »
    I get what you are all saying about no test rides and why however, how does a perspective buyer know the bike is running properly without test riding it?
    I will be in the market soon so would like to test ride any bike I may potentially be handing over €5k for.
    There must be a compromise somewhere that is satisfactory for both a buyer and seller.
    Personally I've only ever sold cars and normally meet in a public place first (usually somewhere I would arrive early and have a good vantage point for a dashcam) and get a feel for the potential buyer. If the sale is gonna go ahead after that I have no problem with the buyer coming to my house.
    I understand with a bike its a little different.

Exactly, different for bikes.
    Not saying I'd never let a stranger ride my bike but I'd certainly have a good chat with them first. That gives you a good idea if they're OK or not to let on your bike.
    There's just so much that can go wrong here.
    A. They might not come back with it and leave you holding a load of dud 50 euro notes.
    B. They might crash it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Not saying I'd never let a stranger ride my bike but I'd certainly have a good chat with them first. That gives you a good idea if they're OK or not to let on your bike.
    A. They might not come back with it and leave you holding a load of dud 50 euro notes.
    B. They might crash it.

If that's the case, surely you'd be better off selling it/giving it to a local dealer and letting them sell it for you? You get the cash in advance and nothing to worry about.

I mean, I get your point of view as someone who's both bought and sold privately, but I can't picture someone handing over a few grand for a bike/car they've never driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

B. They might crash it.

A. Buy a currency pen and they won't leave you with a bunch of dud notes.

B. If they crash it they own it. Once they have driving other bikes on their insurance then it's their problem if they crash and you have the money.

Both above responses are valid points of view.
    In general just exercise a lot of caution when buying/selling to/from strangers.

Advertisement