Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thinking of teaching in England

Options
  • 23-09-2018 7:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi im thinking about applying to teaching jobs in either London or Brighton. Im an NQT but trained in Further ed and unsure what UK jobs I can apply to with this qualification.
    - Im wondering what the pay is like for teachers in UK - is it a livable wage.
    - How difficult is it to find a job over there
    - What are UK schools like

Most of my previous experience is in special needs education and although I dont have specific qualifications in this area I have over 10 years experience through voluntary work and completed my teaching practice hours in this area, id be happy to work with special needs adults if young people wasnt an option as my degree is FE.

Im not sure if im alone in this but im feeling very disheartened by the job situation in Ireland as ive spent days on end filling out applications for ETB's here at home, ive had 3 interviews in 5 months and no luck. My only option really is to leave Ireland to find a job. Any information would be great.
    TYIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

Hi im thinking about applying to teaching jobs in either London or Brighton. Im an NQT but trained in Further ed and unsure what UK jobs I can apply to with this qualification.
    - Im wondering what the pay is like for teachers in UK - is it a livable wage.
    - How difficult is it to find a job over there
    - What are UK schools like

Most of my previous experience is in special needs education and although I dont have specific qualifications in this area I have over 10 years experience through voluntary work and completed my teaching practice hours in this area, id be happy to work with special needs adults if young people wasnt an option as my degree is FE.

Im not sure if im alone in this but im feeling very disheartened by the job situation in Ireland as ive spent days on end filling out applications for ETB's here at home, ive had 3 interviews in 5 months and no luck. My only option really is to leave Ireland to find a job. Any information would be great.
    TYIA

I know nothing about further education or special needs education in England as I taught mainstream secondary but pay in England is terrible. Yes, it is slightly better in inner London but cost of living there is the highest in the UK. Pay starts at £23k a year and there is no such thing as incremental credit, this is at the discretion of the employer which is usually an academy (a private limited company). The scrutiny and data tracking in England is intense.

If your heart is set on finding work in England, avoid the South East of England. Head North to Liverpool or Manchester where rent is a fraction of what it is in Greater London, Brighton is also expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Shoebox1926

williaint wrote: »
    I know nothing about further education or special needs education in England as I taught mainstream secondary but pay in England is terrible. Yes, it is slightly better in inner London but cost of living there is the highest in the UK. Pay starts at £23k a year and there is no such thing as incremental credit, this is at the discretion of the employer which is usually an academy (a private limited company). The scrutiny and data tracking in England is intense.

If your heart is set on finding work in England, avoid the South East of England. Head North to Liverpool or Manchester where rent is a fraction of what it is in Greater London, Brighton is also expensive.

Thanks Williaint, I had my heart set on Brighton as its beside the sea and close to London, Ive been to London a few times and loved it there. Ive heard not to go through private companies as they send Irish teachers to very bad schools. Is it optional to apply to schools directly or do private companies offer some kind of support to irish teachers? Is there a better alternative to England? Sorry for all the question im just at a loss as where to go from here to find work.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

Thanks Williaint, I had my heart set on Brighton as its beside the sea and close to London, Ive been to London a few times and loved it there. Ive heard not to go through private companies as they send Irish teachers to very bad schools. Is it optional to apply to schools directly or do private companies offer some kind of support to irish teachers? Is there a better alternative to England? Sorry for all the question im just at a loss as where to go from here to find work.

What are you qualified to teach? Re. England I just applied through TES, so there was no agency involved. I trained in England though so had QTS and a national insurance number.

Most schools are academies so this means they are private companies and you are paid by the school, not the Dept of Education.

I love London too but check out rents and salaries...teaching starts at £23k and rises to £32k after 6 years. It is significantly lower than Ireland but I found that schools are better equipped over there.

Advertisement