Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do people declare their drink driving convictions to insurance?

Options
  • 22-09-2018 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Don’t have a conviction myself but was chatting to a friend yesterday who is just finished his disqualification!
    Said he can’t get insurance so he’s not going declaring! Is that what people normally do? I told him insurance null and void if he has accident but said it’s a chance he has to take

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

TheBully wrote: »
    Don’t have a conviction myself but was chatting to a friend yesterday who is just finished his disqualification!
    Said he can’t get insurance so he’s not going declaring! Is that what people normally do? I told him insurance null and void if he has accident but said it’s a chance he has to take

Do they not share a database now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

If you dont youre an idiot

If you drink and drive youre a bigger idiot and deserved every penny of the extra charge you get

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

If he declares no convictions, and is then involved in an accident his insurance is null and void.

Depending on the company themselves they may choose to follow up with him legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,193 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know in the past a good few people done it especially with penalty points.
    I was under the impression they were going to introduce something that the companies could just check your licence but I don't know if they ever introduced it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Wheety wrote: »
    Do they not share a database now?

Gdpr? Right to be forgotten?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

If you drink and drive youre a bigger idiot and deserved every penny of the extra charge you get

Exactly this. If you don't and you're involved in any claim (even say, someone hitting into you and trying to claim you were at fault), you are absolutely screwed since you won't have any cover and if I am correct could face further legal repercussions.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Not declaring is one thing. But he will be asked, so he’ll have to make a false declaration. Not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Oink wrote: »
    Not declaring is one thing. But he will be asked, so he’ll have to make a false declaration. Not the same thing.

Yes. It's normally one of the questions:
    'Have you ever been disqualified/convicted of a motoring offence?' Yes or No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Sonics2k wrote: »
    If he declares no convictions, and is then involved in an accident his insurance is null and void.

I think in that case it would be null rather than void, the non disclosure meaning the contract never really existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Normally people don’t get drink driving disqualifications/convictions, because it’s not normal to drink/drive this day and age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

You have to declare it for the first few years but not after the conviction has been spent.
    If he can't get insurance, go on as a named driver to begin with. An insurance broker might be able to get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Thanks God.

I was under the impression they were going to introduce something that the companies could just check your licence but I don't know if they ever introduced it.

Yes, they have definitely introduced this already. It's silly for anybody to not declare their penalty points as the insurer knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

All sounds well and good to say declare it, but if he has no other option?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

If you are involved in a fatal or serious injury accident that will cost thousands the insurance company will do their investigation and catch you out. Then no cover

Billy86 wrote: »
    Exactly this. If you don't and you're involved in any claim (even say, someone hitting into you and trying to claim you were at fault), you are absolutely screwed since you won't have any cover and if I am correct could face further legal repercussions.

I'm not sure if those legal consequences are criminal in nature. If not. they should be.

These people fail to realise or willingly ignore the fact that the car they drive is potentially a lethal weapon in the wrong hands and the consequences of their actions can have life changing, and possibly lethal consequences.

People who dont disclose driving offences that could invalidate their insurance should face a mandatory prison sentence should their actions result in death or serious injury. If you are prepared to risk your own health and safety and that of other road users in a pathetic attempt to save a few euro then you should be made face the consequences of your actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Insurance companies LOVE it if you don't declare convictions or 5+ points because it means they can just take you money and then tell you to GTFO when something happens.

OP, you realise Insurers have had full access to Driver Licence information for a few years now, right? A minutes search, and they know.

Insurance companies LOVE it if you don't declare convictions or 5+ points because it means they can just take you money and then tell you to GTFO when something happens.

OP, you realise Insurers have had full access to Driver Licence information for a few years now, right? A minutes search, and they know.

Well, actually what happened me is that I didn't declare my 3 penalty points by accident - I had got various quotes from the same online quotation form, one of which was to see how much my 3 penalty points added to my premium (the answer is €0). At any rate, the final form I agreed to was the one where I put 0 points. The insurer contacted me a couple of weeks later to ask why I didn't declare them. I told them it was a genuine mistake, which it was, and I was aware the 3 points didn't add anything to my annual premium anyway. They accepted that and that was the end of the matter.(from another quote the same night, 6 penalty points *did* increase the premium)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I'm not sure if those legal consequences are criminal in nature. If not. they should be.

These people fail to realise or willingly ignore the fact that the car they drive is potentially a lethal weapon in the wrong hands and the consequences of their actions can have life changing, and possibly lethal consequences.

People who dont disclose driving offences that could invalidate their insurance should face a mandatory prison sentence should their actions result in death or serious injury. If you are prepared to risk your own health and safety and that of other road users in a pathetic attempt to save a few euro then you should be made face the consequences of your actions.

This is how to do sanctimony.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Gdpr? Right to be forgotten?
    LOL.

It means they can't sell your data to a third party.

It doesn't mean you can erase the public record of court cases.

• Advertisement

That's not true.

If you have been found to have not disclosed a material fact, what will happen (or should happen) is that the company will back date the cancellation of your policy to the time it was set up.

The effect is that its as if your policy never existed with them.

You should be refunded premiums that have been paid. (It was when I worked in insurance. Maybe its different)

Its called an ab initio cancellation.

This is how to do sanctimony.

Do you think it's acceptable to withhold information like this from your insurers?

Bear in mind that this may render a drivers insurance to be inadequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Yes I know but as I’ve said, it’s not myself so what can I do

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Yes I know but as I’ve said, it’s not myself so what can I do

As soon as your friend goes to renew their license the ban will automatically be recorded on the new license. They should have handed in their license when banned. Doesn’t matter if they didn’t. If they don’t declare, they won’t get insurance again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

As soon as his lie is discovered, he will be refused insurance. Then he has an even bigger hassle trying to get insurance.

Advertisement