Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teaching abroad (Abu Dhabi)

• 22-09-2018 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am a secondary school teacher with 5 years experience and am thinking of taking a career break and teaching in Abu Dhabi next year. I have heard conflicting reports about teaching there. The incentives are great but I have heard negative stories about working conditions, accomadation and students. I would greatly appreciate any responses to the queries I have from people who have taken the plunge.

1. What are the hours of a normal secondary school day?

2. What is the monthly salary I can expect?

3. Can a qualified secondary teacher teach in a primary school there and expect the same salary?

4. If you are dissatisfied with accomadation arrangements can you request an allowance for accom? If so, how much of an allowance can you expect?

5. What are the holidays like? For Christmas and Summer?

6. How are the schools ran? Are they well run?

7. What is better a public or private school? For discipline and pay.

8. How difficult is it for an unmarried couple to live together? Especially if the school provide the accomadation?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. I was 95% taking a career break till I heard some horror stories of accomadation and working conditions and am currently 50 50 with the decision to be made in a few months.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Moved from LC Careers, you may have better luck in this forum, Moycarky.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

I think this site: https://www.internationalschoolsreview.com would be a good place to start your research. It's not much to join but it does offer reviews of a lot of international schools in Abu Dhabi and beyond.

They also have their own forum where you'll be able to get advice from teachers working in the international sector.

My understanding is that the sector is a bit of a minefield i.e. the schools are very much a mixed bag. I work internationally but in a private capacity but there have been times when I've considered trying an international school and found the above website a good research tool. It definitely gives you a better sense of what some of these schools are like from a teacher's perspective.

Advertisement