Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle names

Options
  • 22-09-2018 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,152 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from the killer thread -
    Do any of you have 'opposite sex' middle names? I once volunteered the opinion that calling boys 'Mary' as a middle name was strange and a bit unfair - only to find the person I was talking to had given all their boys the middle name of Mary.

I don't have a middle name, I was going to have one but then my parents decided it was 'affected' to have a middle name and they saved it for the next child.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

same here. Except the reason I don't have a middle name is because my Dad didn't. All his brothers and sisters did. My sister does, it's just him and me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

My dad didn't have a middle either and when offered a job with a particular employer they insisted he must have or get a middle name

His first name was Liam and his solution was to call himself Liam Liam , his first name and second name being the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Danger is my middle name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I once knew a boy named Sue

Back in the good old days no Irish person would be a sufficient heretic to give their child the name Máire (or Pádraig or Íosa).

Damned Normans in their irreverence started that tradition. The Irish way was to insert a prefix - e.g. Maol Mhuire (devotee of the Virgin Mary), Giolla Phádraig (Servant of St Pádraig), Giolla Íosa (Servant of Jesus), etc. There's a similar tradition of reverence in Spanish nomenclature - e.g. Dolores means "sorrows", from the Spanish title of the Virgin Mary, María de los Dolores, meaning "Mary of Sorrows".

Ó Maoil Mhuire = descendant of the devotee of the virgin Mary, now anglicised as Mullery, Mulry etc.

Mac Giolla Phádraig = son of Giolla Phádraig; now anglicised as Fitzpatrick etc (the only 'Fitz' surname of Gaelic origin)
    Mac Giolla Íosa, = son of Giolla Íosa, now anglicised as McAleese etc.

'Muls' and 'Gils' in Irish surnames

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Friend of mine at school came from a very devout Catholic family who had given all of their children, boys and girls, the middle name "Mary".

Advertisement