Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't freshwater fished in years, What do I need to know??

Options
  • 21-09-2018 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭

I'm going to give the freshwater fishing a go after maybe 20 years away.
    Going to try a bit of spinning/lure.

Can I fish with treble hooks on a lure?
    Can there be more than 1 hook on the lure, as in 2 hooks one on the head and another on the tail?
    Must I use barb less hooks?

Does the season end, the end of this month, September. For all freshwater fishing?

Or should I just stay with the Deer shooting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Depends what you’re fishing for and where you’re fishing Clive.
    If you’re after pike then work away with whatever hooks you have, no close season but check for clubs that might control the fishing rights.

If you’re after salmon then it depends on the river. Most start to close around now but it’s river dependent.
    As to the hooks you’re allowed, it’s also river dependent and the IFI website will tell you what you need to know.

Word of warning though, if you’re after pike but you’re on a salmon river then just be wary that you don’t get mistaken for salmon fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭clivej

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Depends what you’re fishing for and where you’re fishing Clive.
    If you’re after pike then work away with whatever hooks you have, no close season but check for clubs that might control the fishing rights.

If you’re after salmon then it depends on the river. Most start to close around now but it’s river dependent.
    As to the hooks you’re allowed, it’s also river dependent and the IFI website will tell you what you need to know.

Word of warning though, if you’re after pike but you’re on a salmon river then just be wary that you don’t get mistaken for salmon fishing.

Good reply Bogwoppit, thanks. No closed season for Pike, and that is what I fancy a go at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Above advice is spot on.
    Please C&R.

Advertisement