Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a new phone

Options
  • 21-09-2018 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Looking to purchase myself a new phone...what's good these days?

I'm coming from an iPhone 6 which I got a 4 years ago so I wouldn't be on top of the android phone market...Don't want a massive phone that can barely fit in my pocket like a S9+ or note etc. Budget is about 600 quid. I heard good things about the Honor 10, Nokia 8 and OP6...would these be good options? I know the new pixel is coming out in 3 weeks would it be best to wait for that?

Comments

if your budget is 600 the oneplus 6t (launching in mid-October) could be a good option.

there are a fair few other phones coming in the next month if you're prepared to wait.

https://www.androidauthority.com/new-smartphones-october-2018-906140/

the huawei p20 pro is another option that is already on the market that is worth considering if you want to get a phone now- fantastic camera and very good battery life.
    you might be able to get it in Ireland for just under 600

https://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/shop/phones-plans/all-phones/huawei-p20-pro/3826/2/prepaytab

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Doyler99

Thanks for the reply! Forgot to mention I'd like to have the aul fashioned headphone jack if possible and I know not many phones are doing them these days! Looks like a whole pletra of phones are coming in October...might just wait it out. Shame the OP6T won't have a head phone jack as it would of been ideal..

headphone jacks are gone going forward - especially on more expensive phones.

you can get perfectly good phones for cheap these days that have decent cameras (not in low light tho) and good screens that will have the headphone jack.

e.g. https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/xiaomi-mi-a2-lite-4gb-64gb-with-3d-curved-premium-tempered-glass-screen-protector-black-edge-black.html

you can also use a cheap adapter to use a 3.5mm headphone plug.

otherwise get bluetooth headphones

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭DopeTech

glasso wrote: »
    headphone jacks are gone going forward - especially on more expensive phones.

you can get perfectly good phones for cheap these days that have decent cameras (not in low light tho) and good screens that will have the headphone jack.

e.g. https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/xiaomi-mi-a2-lite-4gb-64gb-with-3d-curved-premium-tempered-glass-screen-protector-black-edge-black.html

you can also use a cheap adapter to use a 3.5mm headphone plug.

otherwise get bluetooth headphones

I have the mi a2 lite linked in the above, have it a few weeks and can't fault it. Battery lasts forever too.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭betistuc

Heard yesterday that Samsung S10 due out in Feb 19 . Apparently it's going to be a game changer and will blow the opposition out of the water. Must be bendable or something. Heard all this from a manager in a Carphone Warehouse in the North. Iwas in seeing if he could solve my S8+ problem. He could'nt. Can anybody shed some light on this glitch I am having:

My S8+ won't automatically select a network when I move from Country to Country. It all has to be done manually and can sometimes take ages . Am I doing something wrong . Auto connect is showing in the Network mode section and Network Operators>Select automatically is selected. My S7 never had this problem. I'd gladly have it back if I could

Any ideas anyone!!!!

If this subject has already been covered could someone point me to it. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Doyler99

Shame about the headphone jacks, assume it's to get the phone an IP rating? As for the Mi a2 lite, looks like a good very good deal but the thoughts of a Pixel or OP6T seem that little better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Doyler99 wrote: »
    Shame about the headphone jacks, assume it's to get the phone an IP rating? As for the Mi a2 lite, looks like a good very good deal but the thoughts of a Pixel or OP6T seem that little better!

Yes, probably slightly better but only marginally. They come with a hefty price tag in comparison.

Advertisement