Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone tell me quickly how Lego Dimensions works?

Options
  • 21-09-2018 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,109 ✭✭✭✭

I have a kid of 9 who owns a PS4 and loves Lego too.

I see Dimensions are half price in Smyths.

How exactly does it work, and are they a good buy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

If you can get them at good price reduction then go for it, the product has been discontinued so they are now clearing all the stocks.

You essentially get the main game and you can buy these expansion packs with different themes/franchises to unlock the extra mini story sections of the franchises. The game is quite buggy here and there but overall a good product if you like Lego, because you can get alot of other franchises in lego which is very rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,109 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

seraphimvc wrote: »
    If you can get them at good price reduction then go for it, the product has been discontinued so they are now clearing all the stocks.

You essentially get the main game and you can buy these expansion packs with different themes/franchises to unlock the extra mini story sections of the franchises. The game is quite buggy here and there but overall a good product if you like Lego, because you can get alot of other franchises in lego which is very rare.

And how or what does the little plastic bit do?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

For much of the game you play it as you would any PS4 game. But at times the game requires you to use the real, physical LEGO pieces, which then affects the gameplay on the screen.

You do this using the toy pad that comes with the Dimensions base game. The game also comes with three minifigures, each of which has a base containing an RFID chip. You place the minifigures onto the toypad, which reads the RFID chip, which causes something to happen in the game. So, for example, you might have to solve a puzzle on the screen by moving the minifigures around the toy pad in a certain sequence.

The base game contains everything you need to complete the main story. However, that is a tiny fraction of the game. The additional packs contain extra characters and levels. Some of these are entire extra stories, and some are just ways to help you unlock items in the main game. So to finish this game 100% you're looking at spending a lot of money.

FWIW, I think the main game is worth the money, especially if it's on sale. The story is really solid, and it's a lot of fun seeing the mashup of characters. If your son is a fan of any of the properties that appear in the game - The LEGO Movie, DC Superheroes, Doctor Who, Lord of the Rings, Ninjago, among a load of others I'm forgetting, then he should get a kick out of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,109 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks for that, really helpful.

Advertisement