Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing + EvoHome system (dumb -> smart)

Options
  • 21-09-2018 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I am aware some of these questions were asked before but often they were not answered or else I got lost in all the reading.
    I will appreciate all answers including directing me to where to get proper advice. I read so much about it in past few days, I need a break to get it right.

I have a gas Baxi boiler, a cylinder and 7 radiators with manual valves. I wish I knew more but I don't think there are any zones since hot water and radiators only get heated at same time. I read about S-Plan or Y-Plan but not sure which I have. So in summer I turn rads off and have some short boosts but then get frustrated about not having hot water on taps when needed.

I think I would qualify for the seai grants based on house age.
    Ideally I would find a seai contractor that covers both plumbing and evohome installation to get proper advice of what is needed and best for the house before completing the job.

Otherwise I am trying to put a plan together myself, and So I need:
    + compatible valves (Valencia VHL120-15A unless better suggestions)
    + evohome kit
    + evohome installer

The only 2 that are clearly advertising evohome install, sounds like they don't do plumbing part (valve-body replacement). And both would still charge 1300-1500 after grants are paid. Not exactly clear, still waiting on them to get back to me.

Q1. Are there other/smaller seai contractors in Dublin area that cover both plumbing and evohome install to avail of the seai grant?

Q2. How much would 7 rads valve replacement cost (fitt only) with system drain, refill?

Q3. If I was to buy the evohome parts myself, can I still avail of grant, once the installer is seai registered? It seems like they are well hidden these evohome installers.

I might have to start with basic pack and maybe add other things like Hot Water Kit later on. I am hoping it would be helpful but at this point I am not very clear on it.

Q4. Can somebody who has Hot Water Kit (ATF500DHW) give some example of how it could help somebody like me? Once setup, can it be used to heat just hot water without heating radiators, I am trying to understand how - or does extra plumbing is needed in my case?

Q5. T6 Smart Thermostat. A bit confused, does it replace something else? What would be its main addition to the set up?

Q6. What would be the most basic evohome setup to start with that would still be worth getting. (after paying for replacing all valves, if no grant, I dont know what I'll be able to afford)

Thanks in advance for anybody trying to help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭paulbok

that quote is extortionate to me.
    the kit for 7 rads would cost approx €900 off Amazon.
    THR993RT starter kit ,controller and stand, boiler relay & 3 trv controllers - £379
    hot water kit - £84
    4 trv controllers - £240
    Gateway - £60
    total £765

To fit a full system to existing manual TRV's (to be fitted by someone else), the only work that you can't do yourself with a basic level of DIY skills and tools, is to wire the relay switch to the boiler.
    The control panel can also be wired, but can be plugged in to a socket. A good electrician could fit and wire both up in an hour, two max if a bit of cabeling is needed.
    The hot water kit isn't difficult to install, using the sensor that attaches to the side of the jot water cylinder. the insert probe would require a plumber tbh.
    The actual valves just screw onto the fitted manual valves.
    The wifi gateway just plugs into your router.
    The manual gives good instructions on how to set everything up.

Q1 - can't help with that.
    Q2 - Half day for a plumber, would guess €150? valves are about €17 in a hardware shop. I'd advise that when the system is being refilled to
    get the plumber to add a rust inhibitor to the water while he is at it.
    Q3 - Don't think so, afaik it needs to be supply and fit for the grants.
    Q4 - If the rads don't need heat, then the TRV's stay closed so only the hot water heats. (technically the pipes to the rads will be heated)
    Once the boiler fires up, it will heat your cylinder inc. hot water and the pump will disperse to any TRV that is open.
    Q5 - Think that is just a different controller, looks more like a nest that the one I referenced above.
    Q6 - The starter kit above, you wont have hot water control but the main install will be done - boiler & controller wiring, and 3 trv controllers.
    hot water kit, wifi gateway and additional trv controllers can be added later.
    The uncontrolled rads can still make use of the O,I, II, III manual settings on the TRV's.

€900 + €3-400 for electrician and plumber so around €1300 to DIY, as opposed to the €2000-2200 quote, inc grant of €700 & cost of plumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

Electric Ireland are doing Evohome at the moment so they may have installers in your area. I got a quote of €1800 after grants do do 13 radiators and hot water and that included all plumbing/electrical work so it looks like a better option. The guy I spoke with didn't seem the most interested so I will probably call back again to double check what I was told. They'll do all the grant paperwork for you so you just pay the excess.
    One thing to note is all Rads need to be done to get the grant.

Its not the most difficult job to do it yourself but you'd want to be fairly confident in you plumbing ability etc.
    https://theevohomeshop.co.uk/ has fairly good prices so if you want to do it on your own.
    Downside is no SEAI grant as the work would not be done by registered installers which is fair enough.

Advertisement