Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin companies

Options
  • 21-09-2018 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

Hello,

I see there are other threads on bin companies but none specifically for Galway city. I am currently with Barna Waste and pretty happy with their service at the moment. I just wanted to get peoples opinions based on their experience with bin companies in the city.

I would be thinking of the following categories:
    • Price
    • Service
    • Reputation - Any history of illegal dumping or scandals

The companies I have seen operating in the city are:
    • Barna Waste
    • Wers
    • Citybin

Thanks,
    The-Island-Man

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Hello,

I see there are other threads on bin companies but none specifically for Galway city. I am currently with Barna Waste and pretty happy with their service at the moment. I just wanted to get peoples opinions based on their experience with bin companies in the city.

I would be thinking of the following categories:
    • Price
    • Service
    • Reputation - Any history of illegal dumping or scandals

The companies I have seen operating in the city are:
    • Barna Waste
    • Wers
    • Citybin

Thanks,
    The-Island-Man
    Wers were part of the PrimeTime programme about illegal dumping of waste/poor practices/environmental damage etc.
    City Bin customer service is poor enough, I think price across them all is dependant on your own particular usage needs, some companies suit some people and some don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I find citybin to be good. Never had a problem with their customer service.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Was with Citybin when I lived in town, always found them excellent. Couple of times had a problem and they were really quick to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Wers were part of the PrimeTime programme about illegal dumping of waste/poor practices/environmental damage etc.
    City Bin customer service is poor enough, I think price across them all is dependant on your own particular usage needs, some companies suit some people and some don't.

Was it not Greyhound that were done for illegal dumping?

When Greyhound ceased trading here Wers took over their customers.

Might want to check that out in case you are leaving Boards open to a liable case?

As for City Bin, been with them for years and never had an issue.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 45,293 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Quite a claim about WERS. Never heard that before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

RoboKlopp wrote: »

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/company-that-took-over-illegal-dump-firms-is-operating-unlawfully-1.3179552?mode=amp

Personally I don't like them because they reverse through our street at quite some speed. Have complained without success.
    Also complained about them collecting bins very early, i.e. 5am, sometimes even earlier. Great to be woken by the beeping of a reversing truck. Thankfully that has stopped.

Was it not Greyhound that were done for illegal dumping?

When Greyhound ceased trading here Wers took over their customers.

Might want to check that out in case you are leaving Boards open to a liable case?

As for City Bin, been with them for years and never had an issue.
    I don't need to check it as it's there in black and white and was reported on Prime Time as I said.

Again it's not a claim, it's fact. If you looked it up you'd have seen such.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/company-that-took-over-illegal-dump-firms-is-operating-unlawfully-1.3179552?mode=amp

Personally I don't like them because they reverse through our street at quite some speed. Have complained without success.
    Also complained about them collecting bins very early, i.e. 5am, sometimes even earlier. Great to be woken by the beeping of a reversing truck. Thankfully that has stopped.
    They reverse at speed here too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭175010012017

Very happy to have switched to City Bin a few years back. Never had any issues and they seem to care. Saw them picking up trash from fallen over bins and such. Other companies just drive by. Really appreciate that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I don't need to check it as it's there in black and white and was reported on Prime Time as I said.

True - pretty scary actually for Galway City as per the Prime Time program. The facility they have in Tuam is on the banks of Clare River, a tributary of the Corrib. All mentioned on the Prime Time program.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Just to mention with City Bin that they have something called 'City Extra'. My cost was creeping up a few years back when they were charging Dubs less than their loyal customers in Galway to break into that market. Anyhow, my bill has been €25 a month ever since and our bins are usually very heavy so I think it's good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Available on the RTE Player until Tuesday 18 June 2019
    https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/rte-investigates-30003696/10894777/

Advertisement