Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying to England next month will i have to renew my passport??

Options
  • 20-09-2018 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Can anyone help I'm flying over to Manchester the end of next month with aer lingus.. Have been told conflicting information about not needing a passport as long as your an irish citizen, a driving licence will do.. Will i need to renew me passport or will my driving licence be ok as I'm an irish citizen??

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I would go with what aer lingus told you and ignore the conflicting information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

It’s fine unless you’re flying Ryanair who require a passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

F1ngers wrote: »
    I would go with what aer lingus told you and ignore the conflicting information.

That's the thing Aer Lingus replied to me on Twitter that a driving licence would be fine a couple of months ago. I emailed em a few days back to make sure and they said that a passport is required to travel within Europe!??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Driving license is fine with Aer Lingus to the UK as we are in a Common Travel Agreement with them.

This does not apply to the rest of Europe as we are not in the Schengen Zone (along with the UK)

Ryanair is a different story as they only accept passport as ID.

So Aer Lingus to the UK is fine, any further afield you will need passport.

Thanks for the replies so you won't get hassled going through passport control over in Manchester if your an Irish citizen with a driving licence??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That's the thing Aer Lingus replied to me on Twitter that a driving licence would be fine a couple of months ago. I emailed em a few days back to make sure and they said that a passport is required to travel within Europe!??

Neither of those people will be at the gate when you're boarding so there really is no point in asking a question like that on Twitter. Because as you've discovered, you're likely to get conflicting answers.

The answer is on their website (link below) and I can summarise it like this: virtually anything with your photo on it is acceptable to Aer Lingus for UK flights....

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/passports-and-visas/travel-to-from-britain/

Thanks for the replies so you won't get hassled going through passport control over in Manchester if your an Irish citizen with a driving licence??

You won't go through passport control in any UK airport, passengers off flights from Ireland go to a domestic gate.

Thanks for all the replies you've all saved me a trip to the local garda station ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Thanks for all the replies you've all saved me a trip to the local garda station ðŸ‘

Just also retain your boarding card in case they ask you for it to prove your flight originated in Irl.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

The feckers.

• Advertisement

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Just also retain your boarding card in case they ask you for it to prove your flight originated in Irl.

Good point but it applies to the return journey. If you get pulled over coming off the flight in the UK, it will be cops looking for ID, not UK immigration. It won't matter to the cops if you're coming from the 26 or 6 counties so the boarding card won't count for much.

OP will need to deal with Irish immigration when s/he returns and the boarding card will definitely be required.

But you may still get aggro without a passport, based on recent threads.

coylemj wrote: »
    Good point but it applies to the return journey. If you get pulled over coming off the flight in the UK, it will be cops looking for ID, not UK immigration. It won't matter to the cops if you're coming from the 26 or 6 counties so the boarding card won't count for much.

OP will need to deal with Irish immigration when s/he returns and the boarding card will definitely be required.

But you may still get aggro without a passport, based on recent threads.

will irish immigration just let me through if I show me licence or will they look for the boarding pass?? when I turn up at Manchester airport for me return flight without a passport can I expect any hassle??

will irish immigration just let me through if I show me licence or will they look for the boarding pass?? when I turn up at Manchester airport for me return flight without a passport can I expect any hassle??

I would always hold onto my boarding pass in any airport until I'm through ALL the arrival stages IN CASE any issue arises. What else are you going to do with it anyway? Its not as though its a big load to carry. Dump it in the 1st dustbin you come across once you've gone out through Customs if its too heavy to carry....

So, you'll have no problem either end in this case of flying with Aer Lingus with just a valid driving license and hold onto the Boarding Card.

In fact, with all our ould blather as being a welcoming nation, you'll get a far better and well organised welcome in UK airports than you'll get when you come back through Dublin (T1 mostly and I know you'll be using T2) with the way ppl are herded through Passports in Dublin. Awful crapola entirely and more reminiscent of Athens in 1980 than a modern airport in 2018...

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I would always hold onto my boarding pass in any airport until I'm through ALL the arrival stages IN CASE any issue arises. What else are you going to do with it anyway? Its not as though its a big load to carry. Dump it in the 1st dustbin you come across once you've gone out through Customs if its too heavy to carry....

So, you'll have no problem either end in this case of flying with Aer Lingus with just a valid driving license and hold onto the Boarding Card.

In fact, with all our ould blather as being a welcoming nation, you'll get a far better and well organised welcome in UK airports than you'll get when you come back through Dublin (T1 mostly and I know you'll be using T2) with the way ppl are herded through Passports in Dublin. Awful crapola entirely and more reminiscent of Athens in 1980 than a modern airport in 2018...

Looking forward to Dublin airport already :) thanks for the replies I'm travelling on me own so I'd be a bit anxious heading up without a passport in case of hassle ðŸ‘

Looking forward to Dublin airport already :) thanks for the replies I'm travelling on me own so I'd be a bit anxious heading up without a passport in case of hassle ðŸ‘

You'll be grand, and you'll have no hassle so long as you just take all the ould crapola in your stride.

Enjoy the trip.

Advertisement