Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circuits in utility rooms

Options
  • 20-09-2018 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi, one time electrician but out of the game a few yrs now.
    Can anyone tell me is it a regulation that you put two circuits in a utility room (for washing machine and dryer) or is it just good practice?
    Can you point me to the reg?
    A friend just bought a house, washing and drying in the utility, both a++ rated but draw in or around 22amps, so may or may not trip down the line. I suggested she should snag it but I'm not sure it's a reg...
    Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Tails142

I think not due to concurrency, it's very unlikely that they both would be drawing the max stated load at the same time and for long enough for the 20 amp trip switch to heat up and activate. Not a spark though

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

There is no regulation stating the number of circuits in a utility room.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

2011 wrote:
    There is no regulation stating the number of circuits in a utility room.

True, it would be recommended to have a different circuit for your kitchen to the utility room

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Stoner wrote: »
    True, it would be recommended to have a different circuit for your kitchen to the utility room

From memory a kitchen must have a minimum of 2 dedicated circuits, therefore neither can supply the utility room. Perhaps someone more familiar with domestic wiring regulations can confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2011 wrote: »
    Stoner wrote: »

From memory a kitchen must have a minimum of 2 dedicated circuits, therefore neither can supply the utility room. Perhaps someone more familiar with domestic wiring regulations can confirm.
    It's a recommendation as opposed to a rule. (It's been downgraded to an Informative Appendix.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

True it has not been a requirement for a while

Having a dedicated circuit in each room is following the recommendation from a common sense point of view as in most cases it's the same household items (load) just arranged in two not one room

Advertisement