Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! My teacher can't understand my Irish (HL)

Options
  • 20-09-2018 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I did HL Irish for the JC and got a C without the Oral because we didn't do it. I got decent grades in Irish in 3rd year all around and got 64% in my mocks in third year which was one of the highest in our class

I did TY and I'm in 5th year now. Irish and I have never been friends. I love chemistry, biology, physics and maths and I love French, English and economics. I love all my subjects except Irish. I'm aiming for 500+ points so it's why I'm doing an 8th subject (economics), I'm not confident in Irish for some reason.

Anyways I have a new Irish teacher for 5th year and she does not understand what I'm trying to say in my long questions and I don't get it. This has happened twice now and she could not correct it because she didn't get it. I don't know why. We did a class test on the poem and it's simple enough, I made sure to use as simple Irish as possible and not go to complex and she still couldn't correct it so now I have to sit down with her and miss physics class tomorrow and then be lost in physics the next day since refraction of light is getting pretty tough, I'm.tempted to just go to Physics and not sit down with her but idk if that will be wise. Great.

So whats going to happen? Am I on the way to failing Irish for the leaving cert...I don't want to do OL..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

naxmax9 wrote: »
    I did HL Irish for the JC and got a C without the Oral because we didn't do it. I got decent grades in Irish in 3rd year all around and got 64% in my mocks in third year which was one of the highest in our class

I did TY and I'm in 5th year now. Irish and I have never been friends. I love chemistry, biology, physics and maths and I love French, English and economics. I love all my subjects except Irish. I'm aiming for 500+ points so it's why I'm doing an 8th subject (economics), I'm not confident in Irish for some reason.

Anyways I have a new Irish teacher for 5th year and she does not understand what I'm trying to say in my long questions and I don't get it. This has happened twice now and she could not correct it because she didn't get it. I don't know why. We did a class test on the poem and it's simple enough, I made sure to use as simple Irish as possible and not go to complex and she still couldn't correct it so now I have to sit down with her and miss physics class tomorrow and then be lost in physics the next day since refraction of light is getting pretty tough, I'm.tempted to just go to Physics and not sit down with her but idk if that will be wise. Great.

That's a bit odd she's taking you away from another subject. If I were the Physics teacher I'd be unhappy if another teacher did that without seeking my permission.

I'm not a physics teacher but from what I remember of the subject, once a topic is done then you won't see it again until revision time for the mocks, and you plough on ahead to the next topic. Now consider the Irish topic you're currently on, these seems like a general writing skill which should develop as you progress through the subject.
    We did a class test on the poem and it's simple enough, I made sure to use as simple Irish as possible and not go to complex and she still couldn't correct it

To be honest I've often read student's answers and was scratching my head as to what they were trying to say... but I'd deal with it in the class or else give examples of other student's work as to what I was expecting.

I'd say to the Irish teacher - before the class tomorrow- "I'm sorry I can't leave Physics as this is the only time I'll be doing that topic until revision at the end of 6th year, could I go through it with you either before or after class next week?"... and then only miss a few minutes of another class next week.
    naxmax9 wrote: »
    So whats going to happen? Am I on the way to failing Irish for the leaving cert...I don't want to do OL..
    Keep your nerve, it's early days just yet to be thinking about dropping. A lot of language learning is confidence and practice, I'm sure if you show the teacher that you're not a messer and keen to learn, they'll help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Breifne72

Hi there, what is she saying is the problem? She seems to be going harsh on you. I'm currently training to be an Irish teacher, if you'd like any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ggg16

If you do a great oral and can master the tape you're onto a winner. You don't sound like you intend to use the points so a H4 or so would suffice. DM if you need any help.

Advertisement