Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SCG exam help!

• 20-09-2018 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I studied in the UK and am now moving home to Ireland. I have registered for the teaching council and am waiting for their response so I can start subbing. The SCG dates have come out but I will not be ready for the exam this April. I dont have a school name to put on my SCG application. Can anyone help or advise me on what they have done?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I did the scg exam around 10 yrs ago. So I'm not 100% on what is required now. You need a school as they come to watch you teach an irish lesson. I also had to complete a project on the local area which was displayed in the school. I had a job so that was no problem. The exam takes place during the Easter hols. The format was similar to my Irish leaving cert honours paper. Oral, aural and 2 written papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 celia0987

Did you do them in the one year? I was thinking of getting grinds for this year and then attending the scg course next October? Do you know if I have to attend the Gaeltacht as well or is this the SCG course?

Thanks

Yea I attended a course from end of September. Every Monday for 3 hrs...it was hard going but well worth it. Yup sat them all together. Wasn't hard. Had to attend the gaeltacht for 3 weeks. I did 2 of the weeks after the exams.

Anyone I know that has done them has sat them all at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Came home from England at the end of Jan and sat all exams that Easter. Now I had already registered and put down my friends school and class. Did a week at Feb midterm and the 10days directly before the exams in the Gaeltacht. Found them all pi$$ easy but I had good Irish to begin with. Also jumped into my friends SCG class on the Monday nights when I came home.

• Advertisement

Do you attend a SCG course and also the Gaeltacht? Did you get help to compose essay style answers for both papers? Did you use the book coir na gaoithe? It says on the irlweb.ie that the 1st term of course in Oct. Must you attend each term? A lot of questions, I know.

That's the book I used anyway. Yes you must do the exams and the gaeltacht. The course I attended helped with all aspects of the exams. We wrote essays and the course practitioner corrected them and gave us tips on how to improve on them.

oh okay. In the course did you choose as a group which poem you would look at? I was told you have to choose yourself. Can I ask what you did in the Gaeltacht as I have never been as an adult?

Advertisement