Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BMW develop autonomous motorcycle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Saw it a couple of days ago, some pretty impressive tech overall.

Weirdly bothers me that the kickstand is down all the time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Sonics2k wrote: »
    A more elegant solution would be a couple of little robot jackboots dropping down on pistons when the bike stops. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Lumen wrote: »
    A more elegant solution would be a couple of little robot jackboots dropping down on pistons when the bike stops. :D

Yes, yes indeed

or a sidecar outfit ?

In fact, its back to the future with an R12 ( + accessories ) :eek:

490396d1364306399-nice-website-bmw-r12-motorcycle-nimbus-museum-2-.jpg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Honda demonstrated one last year, advanced enough not to need cases of electronics, or a side-stand. Link1 Link2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Saw it a couple of days ago, some pretty impressive tech overall.

Considering BMWs reliability issues, its no wonder the sidestand is is down all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭D3V!L

It'll never make it into production for obvious reasons. In a press release they said it was a test platform for future tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The US DARPA has had a fully autonomous bike for years, granted for off road use only. Watched a documentary on the Grand challenge. The 1st year they barely cleared the start line, within a couple more motorbikes completed the course.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.wired.com/story/darpa-grand-challenge-2004-oral-history/amp

So the BMW is just a test mule to make it impossible to crash a bike and most likely remove the benefits of being on a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

On the plus side, BMW R & D have promised that it will always use it's indicators....and switch them off afterwards...... :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

galwaytt wrote: »
    On the plus side, BMW R & D have promised that it will always use it's indicators....and switch them off afterwards...... :)

***Subject to additional fees, terms and conditions apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,252 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

galwaytt wrote: »

They'll have to train the robots to work the funny switches :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
Advertisement