Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone FTTH Installation

Options
  • 20-09-2018 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Im in south Wexford, Eir put in a FTTH cable on poles on our site boundary but KN could not get cable through our duct last year as they said there was a blockage underground.

A neighbour has told me Vodafone have a sales rep calling door to door in our area, and that eir have released the ftth line to other operators last week, and that Vodafone are installing for 99 euro. He say KN are being paid for getting the cable in rather than attempts. A guaranteed instalation.

Anyone know if thats true?

We have a bungalow, and when KN arrived for eir last time they said they could not run it overhead to chimney as they were not allowed work in attics.

Both neighbour and our ducts are blocked? Is KN installing duct now for that 99 fee?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Im in south Wexford, Eir put in a FTTH cable on poles on our site boundary but KN could not get cable through our duct last year as they said there was a blockage underground.
    and that eir have released the ftth line to other operators last week

This is wrong. Products are RFO with all operators at the same time. Vodafone weren't selling it at the start due to being part of SIRO (competitor) but that was their choice.

If the blockage is inside your boundary its been up to you to dig/drill/trench typically. Not aware of any changes there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 alanwexford

Thats what i would have thought Ed, sounds like the door to door sales guy is getting paid for sign ups, and just wants a signature on a order form.

Do you know by any chance if KN are running overhead wires? As per post, technician said they are not allowed in attics.

I dont necessarily want to dig up tarmac and paths for broadband.

I have power to my gate, and was thinking of putting a box on the gate with the modem in that and then send it back through the power line but dont know if KN will allow that. I have bb by mast at the moment but have line of site issues.

Ive tried sending existing broadband out to the gate and it works perfect, so am hopefull it would work in reverse if the router was out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Thats what i would have thought Ed, sounds like the door to door sales guy is getting paid for sign ups, and just wants a signature on a order form.

Do you know by any chance if KN are running overhead wires? As per post, technician said they are not allowed in attics.

I dont necessarily want to dig up tarmac and paths for broadband.

I have power to my gate, and was thinking of putting a box on the gate with the modem in that and then send it back through the power line but dont know if KN will allow that. I have bb by mast at the moment but have line of site issues.

Ive tried sending existing broadband out to the gate and it works perfect, so am hopefull it would work in reverse if the router was out there.

Of course they run overhead drops. The majority of rural drops would be overhead. However without knowing your exact circumstances it may not be possible to go overhead.

The installers will not go into attics. Would it be possible to route the cable on the exterior of your home fro the chimney to a suitable entry point where they could drill an access hole?

Alternatively you could offer to go into the attic and pull the cable to a suitable location where you would have a pre-drilled exit hole. Some installers may not allow this.

Locating the ONT and router outside at the gate sounds like a recipe for disaster. Neither of them would have been designed for outdoor use so you would need a reliable weather proof solution. Transmitting broadband over power lines is also not reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 alanwexford

KN are a nightmare to deal with, last time they were here they said no to the chimney even though the eircom pole is directly opposite and only about 60 feet away.

Two technicians said it was a no no. I have a small mast on the chimey which it could have been run to, then straight down the gulley to front sitting room.

Going to enquire with a farmer to see if they have a mole to mole under the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

A neighbour has told me Vodafone have a sales rep calling door to door in our area, and that eir have released the ftth line to other operators last week, and that Vodafone are installing for 99 euro.

That's the biggest lie, the rep could come up with. All the providers listed with a house logo here: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ are offering FTTH on OpenEIRs network.

And some of those have done so for over a year.

The only truth is, that Vodafone has not provided on OpenEIRs FTTH until last week. But that wasn't OpenEIRs choice. It was Vodafones choice.

But as pointed out above, anything that's on your property is not going to be sorted by OpenEIR nor KN. It's your problem.

Overhead is possible, if pole infrastructure is around and your premise is less than 50m from the public road or nearest pole.

/M

• Advertisement
Advertisement