Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my electricity bill too high?

Options
  • 20-09-2018 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am living in a 2 bedroom apartment. Recently I received my bill for electricity where it is 192 Units for a period of 63 days.
    I have gas heating for shower and cooking. So is this bill too high usage for a single person?
    Please clarify me.
    Thanks
    G Hariprasad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

hago123 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am living in a 2 bedroom apartment. Recently I received my bill for electricity where it is 192 Units for a period of 63 days.
    I have gas heating for shower and cooking. So is this bill too high usage for a single person?
    Please clarify me.
    Thanks
    G Hariprasad

No you’re using only 3 units per day which works out at 50c per day. That’s not a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

To give context, there are 4 in my family, 2 children 2 parents, and we use about 8kWhs per day. Loads of devices, lighting etc. contribute to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭hago123

Dardania wrote: »
    To give context, there are 4 in my family, 2 children 2 parents, and we use about 8kWhs per day. Loads of devices, lighting etc. contribute to it.
    I am living alone. Out of home Mon to Friday 0900 till 1800. Weekends in home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

Nobody could give you a definitive answer because you provide no information on your home appliances, heating etc.
    Electric Ireland have an app “ My Energy Pal”. This allows you to enter details of all electric appliances and it will give you an estimate of the usage costs.

Alternatively you could look at your high usage items. Electric heating, immersion element, cooker, grill, oven etc.
    Basically any device that uses electricity to heat/cool will push up your usage.

Devices are available to purchase to monitor your usage e.g. Owl.

A rough indication can be had by switching everything off then switching on in turn while monitoring your meter. You can also check your meter while everything is powered down to ensure you are not supplying anything outside your residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,432 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Let’s look at your usage.

Have you LED lights?
    What age is your fridge and freezer?
    Do you use a tumble dryer ?
    Have you and immersion or electric shower ?

• Advertisement

Average household = 10kWh p/d.

It's non-linear. Fewer people do not use proportionately less lecky.

The key question is “do you use electric heating” ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Cerco wrote: »
    The key question is “do you use electric heating” ?.

And the key answer is in the first post... ;)
    hago123 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Please clarify me.
    Thanks
    G Hariprasad

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, do you use any electrical appliances which involve heat? Do you leave any old appliances like a TV or amplifier plugged in overnight? Have you many incandescent (filament) light bulbs?

Can you read your own meter whenever you choose to? It would be worth checking before and after work to see if there's any usage when you are out Mon-Fri.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,432 ✭✭✭✭ted1

K.Flyer wrote: »

Not always. Sometime people say stuff but forget about towel rails , immersions , kick board fan heaters etc.

• Advertisement

K.Flyer wrote: »

Apologies
    😩 My bad, have to stop posting after bedtime.😩😴😴😴.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭hago123

coylemj wrote: »
    OP, do you use any electrical appliances which involve heat? Do you leave any old appliances like a TV or amplifier plugged in overnight? Have you many incandescent (filament) light bulbs?

Can you read your own meter whenever you choose to? It would be worth checking before and after work to see if there's any usage when you are out Mon-Fri.
    I completely switch OFF the TV, mobile and laptop chargers overnight. As someone else pointed out should see before I leave the home and after I enter the home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭denismc

Your usage seems perfectly normal. In a similar period we used 300 units which seems below average.

Advertisement