Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third party extension

Options
  • 20-09-2018 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Anyone using a company that offers third party extension if the other vehicle isn't insured, but has tax/nct?
    Liberty used to do it but they are changing their policy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Liberty joined Aviva in imposing this condition, I think it was in 2017. AFAIK those two are currently the only companies in the Irish market with that condition - to be covered (by your own policy) under 'driving other cars', the car you borrow must have a current policy of insurance, regardless of whether that policy covers you to drive the car or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

coylemj wrote: »
    Liberty joined Aviva in imposing this condition, I think it was in 2017. AFAIK those two are currently the only companies in the Irish market with that condition - to be covered (by your own policy) under 'driving other cars', the car you borrow must have a current policy of insurance, regardless of whether that policy covers you to drive the car or not.

Finally cutting down on the boy racer grannys with skylines in their name?

garv123 wrote: »
    Finally cutting down on the boy racer grannys with skylines in their name?

I think this restriction has more to do with people buying an additional car, registering it in the neighbour's name and then 'borrowing' it on a permanent basis. Wife drives the household car, husband drives the 'borrowed' car. All on one policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

coylemj wrote: »
    I think this restriction has more to do with people buying an additional car, registering it in the neighbour's name and then 'borrowing' it on a permanent basis. Wife drives the household car, husband drives the 'borrowed' car. All on one policy.

Once all insurers will amend their policies to include that condition, it will be very sad time for drivers in Ireland. Taking away another option to drive at reasonable cost.

:(

CiniO wrote: »
    Once all insurers will amend their policies to include that condition, it will be very sad time for drivers in Ireland. Taking away another option to drive at reasonable cost.

Only for people who are currently gaming the system and running two cars off the one policy. For the rest of us, it will be about time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement