Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insure phone after broke screen

Options
  • 20-09-2018 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi All
    I recently broke the screen on my Iphone 7 in bits, I am on bill pay with Vodafone but its not insured. The guy in the Vodafone store told me a new screen would cost €400 and if i were to get a cheap local guy to fix it that i would then lose my warranty.

I was wondering could I insure my phone now and then pretend in a few days/weeks that it broke then and then claim for a new phone?
    and if so, who could i get it insured with?
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That would be fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Thecairn

Hi Colm

Thanks for your response.
    My screen is badly broken but It's hard to justify €400 just to replace it, plus I will be without a phone for a period of time while its being repaired and I just cannot afford to do that.

I just wonder would I get away with insuring it now and then claiming in 2/3 wks time. how would they know when it broke?
    what would the implications be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Are you completely mad? You’re talking about committing fraud. This kind of thing is what makes honest people’s insurance fees more expensive. What do expect us to say, FFS.

i realise that, but i just want to know would I get away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Even Psychic Wayne can predict the future of this thread. It will be locked by the mods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I watched one of those BBC investigation shows recently and it was about insurance fraud. Quite a few people got caught fraudulently insuring a phone. Be prepared to pay legal costs when you get caught.

who's the mods?

thanks for all your input guys.

So if insuring the phone is out the window now, have ye any ideas of what I should do now? I just dont want to fork out €400 on a new screen.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Allinall

Thecairn wrote: »

So if insuring the phone is out the window now, have ye any ideas of what I should do now? I just dont want to fork out €400 on a new screen.

TIA

Buy a €50 quid phone and lean a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

• Advertisement

TIA

What would you do if something went wrong in your house that needed repair, or of something expensive went in your car? No one wants to fork out for anything but that's the joys of buying expensive things! Buy a new cheap phone or fork out the 400 it's simple really.

you cant pull girls with €50 quid phones :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

TIA

It’s unlikely to cost that much. Why not just sign up for a cheap €40 Vodafone plan and with negotiation with the sales team they’ll give it to you cheap enough. I negotiated 4 months early from contract end to get the iPhone X 256gb. Believe it or not Vodafone agents are given a lot more flexibility than the likes of 3 and Eircom.

you cant pull girls with €50 quid phones :P

Is that how it works these days, you slap out your phone to pull a bird?

Morpork wrote: »

perfect, this is the sort of thing I was looking for.

@Grab All Association, I'm not that long into my contract so negotiating could be difficult but thanks for the idea, its definatly wortha try and I'll do that tomorrow so.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Is that how it works these days, you slap out your phone to pull a bird?

Yeah, but he slapped it too hard and broke his screen...

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blink44

i realise that, but i just want to know would I get away with it?

If you’re going to commit insurance fraud probably best not talk about it on the internet, or go into the same Vodafone shop again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Where are you getting 400 quid from? Even apple only charge 171.30 (including VAT and shipping).

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/iphone/repair/service/pricing

Some lad in a phone repair shop will do it even cheaper.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

This is insurance fraud. Locking thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement