Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal treatment contradictions

Options
  • 19-09-2018 3:49pm

I’ve tried a thread like this previously that went pear shaped and that was closed and understandably.

So my intention for this thread is to post news items from all around the world that allow us to understand how we treat some animals differently to others even though we ‘love all animals’.

I think it’s weird that we kill some animals for food but treat others like family members so this thread will hopefully provoke thought.

So post links to stories that you think are socially contradictory.

The idea is to read the article and reflect.

Discussion or explanation is not needed. Just post a link to a story that you think is social hypocrisy.

To get the ball rolling -

Pregnant horses and foal rescued from slaughter in Norfolk http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-45574281

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

klopporama wrote:
    I’ve tried a thread like this previously that went pear shaped and that was closed and ...
    I think it’s weird that we kill some animals for food but treat others like family members so this thread will hopefully provoke thought.

Isn't this exactly the same as your thread which is still open? Definitely not closed - maybe you have just forgotton it? The last post was only last week.
    :confused:
    See:
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057881174/1/
    How's this one different?

I believe the overall consensus in the previous thread as expressed by many posters that there is no contradiction except that which perhaps you believe yourself. Have a read anyway ...

Edit: sorry but I'm even more confused about this thread.
    Klopporama wrote:
    Discussion or explanation is not needed. Just post a link to a story that you think is social hypocrisy.

I note that you have changed your opinion on "social hypocrisy"

Prior thread
    klopporama wrote: »
    I’m certainly not accusing society of hypocrisy.
    I’m seeing how different animals are treated and wondering why those choices are made.

Which of the two is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

That film Unity highlights some of the bizarre contradictions of human behaviour and sets you thinking about others. Like the manic materialism of American culture versus the US being one of the most 'religious' nations on earth. Or the 'they should do something about it' mentality ranted by people causing the problem that they see needs dealing with. Or spending all that tax money on Eric Trump or the pope when there's people homeless. We're complex and daft.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thread closed. Other thread is still open.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement