Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tado multi zone no thermostat

Options
  • 19-09-2018 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Sorry if the question is very basic I'm new to "smart" things

I'm looking at installing Tado for multiple zones. We have oil heating and currently have no thermostat currently. All the setup I've seen is replacing the current stat, so if there's none there in the first place is there much involved in installing a stat as a "new" stat or is there other options ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

limnam wrote: »
    Hi all

Sorry if the question is very basic I'm new to "smart" things

I'm looking at installing Tado for multiple zones. We have oil heating and currently have no thermostat currently. All the setup I've seen is replacing the current stat, so if there's none there in the first place is there much involved in installing a stat as a "new" stat or is there other options ?

How is your boiler currently controlled?

If you have something like an Apt timer on the wall connected to the mains that fires your boiler you can replace that with a tado thermostat.

If the only way you have to fire your heating at the moment is by interacting with the boiler itself you will probably need to hook up an extension kit to the boiler to allow the thermostat to wirelessly fire the boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭limnam

keane2097 wrote: »
    How is your boiler currently controlled?

If you have something like an Apt timer on the wall connected to the mains that fires your boiler you can replace that with a tado thermostat.

If the only way you have to fire your heating at the moment is by interacting with the boiler itself you will probably need to hook up an extension kit to the boiler to allow the thermostat to wirelessly fire the boiler.

There's a grasslin towerchron qe2 that i use for programming and firing up the oil burner.

But my understanding from tado website was if i don't have a stat i'd need an extension kit.

so i could just put a stat in place of the grasslin ?

There's a grasslin towerchron qe2 that i use for programming and firing up the oil burner.

But my understanding from tado website was if i don't have a stat i'd need an extension kit.

so i could just put a stat in place of the grasslin ?

Yeah you should be able to just replace that wall unit with the tado thermostat.

I've seen all those videos and they are confusing in the way they make it sound like your system has to already have control based on temperature. This is not the case.

This thread may be of some use:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057908314

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭limnam

keane2097 wrote: »
    Yeah you should be able to just replace that wall unit with the tado thermostat.

I've seen all those videos and they are confusing in the way they make it sound like your system has to already have control based on temperature. This is not the case.

This thread may be of some use:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057908314

Yeah that looks good for my situation.

Do you know if I could add more stats wirelessly then that could call the "main" stat for heat? (without extension kit) ?

When I go through the tado site it always suggests I purchase the extension kit for any situation with no existing stat.

Yeah that looks good for my situation.

Do you know if I could add more stats wirelessly then that could call the "main" stat for heat? (without extension kit) ?

When I go through the tado site it always suggests I purchase the extension kit for any situation with no existing stat.

I haven't seen anything to indicate that you can use one thermo to trigger another. Someone else might be able to chime in but I suspect that if you want to trigger the boiler wirelessly you need the extension kit.

They have smart TRVs as well that might be a better alternative to multiple thermos if your rads are set up for them, but I think you would still need the extension kit in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Question about TADO if anyone could help.

Oil Boiler outside, One Programmer Control, One Thermostat. Just the one zone.

I wanted to replace the analog thermostat in the hall, Looked at NEST but doesn't support Line Voltage.

So in the kitchen buried down the back of the wall is this programmer. See link

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1151/3080/products/SEC705_grande.png?v=1494854178

Then in the hall is this thermostat, See link

https://www.fenix.sk/sites/default/files/styles/fullnode/public/flash-25800_0.jpg?itok=ccmEcA1x

Would this work in this setup? What needs to be replaced with the TADO? The programmer or Stat. It's the thermostat I'd like replaced and not to have the TADO down the back of the kitchen.

Haven't a clue.

Advertisement