Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Coin

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

I bet Migey D Higgins won't have to pay 60 euro for one.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

What I want to know is when will they get rid of 1 and 2c coins?

Useless shrapnel.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Useless shrapnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

I'd like to buy one. Pay with four fifteen euro coins. That'd have them thinking for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,503 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Anyone who got the €100 1916 commemoration gold coin made a bit of a killing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

JupiterKid wrote: »

Useless shrapnel.

Lots of shops have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

JupiterKid wrote: »

Useless shrapnel.

It'll happen about, ooh, 3 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Jay Dee wrote: »
    Is this even legal ?

What, the selling something for more than you "think" it's worth, or the €15 coin?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,503 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It's legal, but not compulsory.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Excellent, it will fit snugly in my Hugo Boss fitted suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

What the hell is wrong with you children? This is a Rory Gallagher commemoration coin! If I had the money, I'd buy one. Hell, if I had enough money I'd buy a few of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

FanadMan wrote: »
    What the hell is wrong with you children? This is a Rory Gallagher commemoration coin! If I had the money, I'd buy one. Hell, if I had enough money I'd buy a few of them.

Where does the money go?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Where does the money go?
    To the Central Bank.

Seigneurage is the technical term for the profit made by a currency issuer on the difference between the cost of producing the notes/coin and their value on issue. The Central Bank earns seigneurage on all the currency it issues, since it all costs less than face value to produce. Seigneurage is mostly a loan - when a note or coin is worn out it is returned to the Bank who have to refund the value they received when they issued it. But a proportion of notes and coins are never returned, so the Bank gets to keep the seigneurage permanently. Commemorative issues like this are generally never returned.

They'll probably earn a somewhat higher rate of seigneurage on this particular currency (though possibly not; with such a small number of coins being minted, the unit cost of minting each coin could be quite high).

Either way, because of the small number of coins involved the amount of seigneurage will be trivial in the overall financing of the Bank.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

A thumb of gold, by god, to gauge an oat

Is this even legal ?
    If not, how do you get in on the act ??
    Anyone can issue and sell commemorative "coins" for any price they like, as long as they don't hold them out as being legal tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

I bought Michael Collins commemorative coins for my dad , think they were 90 euro for the 2 in a special box. They are on eBay from 190-275 so happy out, well not that he’d sell them.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    To the Central Bank.

Seigneurage is the technical term for the profit made by a currency issuer on the difference between the cost of producing the notes/coin and their value on issue. The Central Bank earns seigneurage on all the currency it issues, since it all costs less than face value to produce. Seigneurage is mostly a loan - when a note or coin is worn out it is returned to the Bank who have to refund the value they received when they issued it. But a proportion of notes and coins are never returned, so the Bank gets to keep the seigneurage permanently. Commemorative issues like this are generally never returned.

They'll probably earn a somewhat higher rate of seigneurage on this particular currency (though possibly not; with such a small number of coins being minted, the unit cost of minting each coin could be quite high).

Either way, because of the small number of coins involved the amount of seigneurage will be trivial in the overall financing of the Bank.

Incorrect. The correct answer is “to the Man”.

Anyone can issue and sell commemorative "coins" for any price they like, as long as they don't hold them out as being legal tender.

Presumably this is legal tender although you’d be stupid to use it at face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

A Phil Lynott coin due in 2019. :)

Presumably this is legal tender although you’d be stupid to use it at face value.
    This one is legal tender, and commemorative coins which are legal tender have a certain cachet as collectible items precisely because there are relatively few institutions authorised to make legal tender issues. Therefore they are more valuable as collectors' items than the non-legal tender alternatives. But of course that enhanced value makes it less and less likely that they will ever actually be spent as legal tender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is this even legal?
    The secret is in the words "legal tender"

biko wrote: »
    The secret is in the words "legal tender"

is it legal to release 'legal tender' at four times its face value? surely it should only cost what it's legally worth

To the Central Bank.

What a scam. I thought the commemoration organization or a related facility would get something out of it but nothing?

That's insane. :confused:

And he is telling us:
    FanadMan wrote: »

So come back a minute FanadMan, explain yourself, what is wrong with people? Why should anyone buy "money" at four times its cost. What good will it do to anyone except pissing money down the toilet?

So come back a minute FanadMan, explain yourself, what is wrong with people? Why should anyone buy "money" at four times its cost. What good will it do to anyone except pissing money down the toilet?
    if it's any consolation, the Central Bank of Ireland hands over all of its profit to the State every year.

It's the least evil financial institution ever to have opened its doors in this country. Well, apart from that fat-robot-lookalike it erected on Dame Street

is it legal to release 'legal tender' at four times its face value? surely it should only cost what it's legally worth
    Of course it's legal. Why wouldn't it be?
    Why should anyone buy "money" at four times its cost.
    All currency is issued for more than it costs to produce. What, you think the Central Bank spends 20 cents minting a 10-cent coin?
    What good will it do to anyone except pissing money down the toilet?
    In this case, the people who buy the coins (of whom I will not be one) will be paying for the souvenir value of a commemorative edition, and in some cases in at least the hope that the coin will have a collectible value - i.e. you can laer sell it to other collectors for more than face value.

This is't a novel idea. There's a huge market in collectible coins, stamps, etc, most of which sell for more than their face value. Whether these particular coins will, in the future, trade at more than their issue price remains to be seen. I suspect the chances of huge profits for collectors are not great; the whole point of pricing commemorative issues like this is to try to capture for the taxpayer some or all of the "collectibility" value of the coins, rather than giving it away to private individuals.

Of course it's legal. Why wouldn't it be?
    So, I go to the central bank with bags of 1 cent and two cent coins to exchange for something less bulky, say I have twenty bags of each, thats 60 euro, and the man behind the counter gives me one nice shiny new coin in return. Thats grand, says I. But as soon as he hands it to me, its lost 75% of it's value. I say 'wait a second there, mister. I think I'd rather my own money back, thank you very much' and he says fine, and hands me back fifteen bags of one cent coins...
    All currency is issued for more than it costs to produce. What, you think the Central Bank spends 20 cents minting a 10-cent coin?

I know in the US, for every cent thats minted, it costs something like 1.2 cent

So, I go to the central bank with bags of 1 cent and two cent coins to exchange for something less bulky, say I have twenty bags of each, thats 60 euro, and the man behind the counter gives me one nice shiny new coin in return. Thats grand, says I. But as soon as he hands it to me, its lost 75% of it's value. I say 'wait a second there, mister. I think I'd rather my own money back, thank you very much' and he says fine, and hands me back fifteen bags of one cent coins...
    Well, you could avoid the problem just by bringing your small change to your local bank, which is probably going to be more convenient for you anyway.

But if you bring it to Dame Street, they're not going to offer you a specially-priced commemorative coin issue (and if they do you can reject it; nobody is obliged to buy this coin); they're going to offer you currency already in circulation, at face value.
    I know in the US, for every cent thats minted, it costs something like 1.2 cent
    Yes. And in some eurozone countries, it costs more than a cent to mint a 1-cent coint. This is known as negative seigneurage. In some countries central banks respond by discouraging the use of the coins and encouraging the rounding of cash payments to the nearest 5 cents. In others they bear the cost on the grounds that it makes for a more efficient payment system, and that it is more than covered by the positive seigneurage on other coins and notes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's just a collector's item. I've seen a few nice looking ones issued internationally I've been tempted to get at times, purely just for putting on the mantelpiece.

Oh, it's extremely common. The Australian mint currently has a variety of commemorative $1 coins on sale at prices that vary from $15 to $150, depending on the subject of the commemoration, the metal content of the coin and the number of coins struck. In the UK right now you can by a Peter Rabbit 50p piece for £55, or a £10 coin commemorating the 1918 armistice for £8,565. (It's struck in solid gold, and weights 142 g.) In the US, the World War I commemorative silver dollar is a more modestly-priced $56.95. In France, the monnaie will issue you with a complete set of Simone Weil commemoratives (cumulative face value €3.88) for €43.00. Italy offers better value to the budget-conscious collector, with commemorative sets having a face value of €5.88 on sale for just €24.00. You can choose from a wide range of subjects, including "Artistic Treasures of Amatrice", "Women in Art - Artemisia Gentileschi" and "60th Anniversary of the foundation of the Ministry of Health".

• Advertisement

It's just a collector's item. I've seen a few nice looking ones issued internationally I've been tempted to get at times, purely just for putting on the mantelpiece.

How is it a collector's item if it has nothing to do with the subject of it? It's not going to the family of Rory Gallagher, it's not going to a good cause, it's going straight to the Central Bank. Can that be really called a collector's item? It seems like if someone started putting Michael Jackson on t-shirts and selling them for a big profit and you started buying it because you said it was a "collector's item". Like... how is it a collector's item when it's a completely unrelated 3rd party that is producing it? A collector's item for stupid people maybe.

Advertisement