Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google home - is the any way to disable YouTube?

Options
  • 18-09-2018 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hi, My kids are getting the Google Home to play YouTube on the TV when we are not around to supervise. I'm not that happy with a lot of what's on YouTube and am trying to figure out a way to disable it.
    I know there's the option to put it in restricted mode, but this isn't enough. I want it gone as an option.
    I've tried unlinking the YouTube account from Google Home. I've deleted YouTube as an app on my phone. But it still plays YouTube when I ask.
    I don't want to set passwords on the TV because I'm happy for them to use Netflix via Google Home.
    Is there an obvious way to do this that I've missed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,801 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Google home a speaker and cannot play YouTube video's on its own.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Google home a speaker and cannot play YouTube video's on its own.

I'd be presuming there's a Chromecast in the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,801 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Patww79 wrote: »
    I'd be presuming there's a Chromecast in the TV.

Well then just plug out the chromecast!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

I'd suggest getting rid of Google Home and purchasing a radio, give your kids a chance to develop in a more robust manner. My 2c's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

They want to keep Netflix access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Open the Google Home app .
    In the top left corner of the Home screen, tap Menu .
    Verify that the Google Account that is listed is the one linked to Google Home. ...
    Tap More settings.
    Under "Devices,' tap the device you want to adjust.
    Under "YouTube Restricted Mode",

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Google cast is built in to some TVs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

If you want to set up the kids on Google home and match voice then this might be the answer
    https://support.google.com/families/answer/7521263?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

There's a Chromecast too, yes, sorry should have added that detail!
    Thanks for the link bionic, I went through the steps as that does seem to offer the solution as the kids are below 13 which is the age for YouTube. But.... I've reached a dead end as before I can add him to voice recognition, I need to set up an account for him (which I just did) and then need to activate it on his device. But that's where I can go no further as he doesn't have a device.
    He only uses the Google Home. I want to avoid having him on a device as long as I can (he's only 8) and the Google Home is great for him to choose songs on Spotify or watch something (or make animal noises or find out the Irish for something) , without needing any.

But this YouTube issue doesn't seem that simple to resolve. I will have another seach for voice regicnition options without needing a logged in child account.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

OK, another idea and a question. Can I do any setup on the Google Home so when anyone says the word "YouTube", it will say "No can't play YouTube" and stops?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Sesame wrote: »
    There's a Chromecast too, yes, sorry should have added that detail!
    Thanks for the link bionic, I went through the steps as that does seem to offer the solution as the kids are below 13 which is the age for YouTube. But.... I've reached a dead end as before I can add him to voice recognition, I need to set up an account for him (which I just did) and then need to activate it on his device. But that's where I can go no further as he doesn't have a device.
    He only uses the Google Home. I want to avoid having him on a device as long as I can (he's only 8) and the Google Home is great for him to choose songs on Spotify or watch something (or make animal noises or find out the Irish for something) , without needing any.

But this YouTube issue doesn't seem that simple to resolve. I will have another seach for voice regicnition options without needing a logged in child account.

Set up the child on your device or a spare tablet etc. Just don't give him the actual device to use.

Advertisement