Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV/Entertainment Unit

Options
  • 18-09-2018 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this belongs here but anyway.

I need a (corner) unit to house the following:

LG Oled55B7
    Onkyo TX-RZ710
    Panasonic DMP-UB300 4k Player
    Xbox One S
    Sky HD Box
    Apple TV 4k
    Harmony Hub

I have a 3 shelf black plate glass unit that's around 1140mm in width and, as the TV is on the top shelf, the only way I could accommodate everything above was to raise the whole stand onto makeshift risers and put the amp on the floor underneath (not exactly ideal/safe but it's done me for a few years). It's a real pain in the balls to access the back of the equipment when necessary though.
    I'm getting some work done and everything is currently disassembled so now's a good time to make an overdue change. I need something around 1200mm wide with shelves big enough and strong enough to carry all of the above including cable management with everything easily accessible (i.e. no enclosed units, front doors etc). Lockable castors would be a bonus too but aren't a deal breaker. Wall mounting everything is not an option unfortunately.

I've been considering something like this but would have concerns about how steady the TV would be when mounted, However, it's an idea of what I'm looking for especially considering the height of the bottom shelf for accommodating the amp (approximately 220mm height required).

So, does anyone have suggestions? It might be nice to be able to go and physically see something I suppose (I'm in Dublin) but I've had a look (online) at what Powercity, DID and Curry's have to offer and none match my requirements.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,342 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Shred wrote: »
    .... I've had a look (online) at what Powercity, DID and Curry's have to offer and none match my requirements.

With the possible exception of Harvey Norman (who sell both electrical and furniture), electrical stores are the last place I'd check out for audio/visual furniture. The stores you mentioned have a limited selection and as with all AV accessories (cables, wall mounting kits etc.), they're terrible value when you stray outside the core appliances. Have you tried IKEA?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/storage-furniture/tv-media-benches/brimnes-tv-bench-black-art-70409873/ would something like this fit ?

I suppose the width of the corner is our biggest decider on this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

If you have a decent budget pay a carpenter to build you exactly what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Shred

coylemj wrote: »
    With the possible exception of Harvey Norman (who sell both electrical and furniture), electrical stores are the last place I'd check out for audio/visual furniture. The stores you mentioned have a limited selection and as with all AV accessories (cables, wall mounting kits etc.), they're terrible value when you stray outside the core appliances. Have you tried IKEA?

I haven’t actually, I’ll have a gander.

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/storage-furniture/tv-media-benches/brimnes-tv-bench-black-art-70409873/ would something like this fit ?

I suppose the width of the corner is our biggest decider on this ?

Yeah, I’d get away with 130-135cm but 120cm max is probably a better fit.

• Advertisement

If you have a decent budget pay a carpenter to build you exactly what you need.

If I wasn’t time constrained that might be an option alright, everything will be going back into the room within a couple of weeks. I’m also looking to keep the price at €200 max though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Shred wrote: »
    Yeah, I’d get away with 130-135cm but 120cm max is probably a better fit.

you could cut the backs of the corners off, 45 degrees at 6 inches in or so and it would fit rather snugly in to that space.

you could cut the backs of the corners off, 45 degrees at 6 inches in or so and it would fit rather snugly in to that space.

Cheers, I’ll have a look.

I ended up going over budget and buying an enclosed unit :p

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MDA-Wave-1200-Hybrid-Stand-Satin-Black-Glass/dp/B07B3VMHZ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1538128731&sr=8-1&keywords=wave+1200+hybrid

I ordered it on Monday morning from Amazon and it was delivered yesterday via An Post, which was excellent I thought.

Advertisement