Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone siro

Options
  • 18-09-2018 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have the standard router that vodafone gives you when siro is installed but i checked with wifi analyser and i have some dead spots in my house. Can anyone recommend a better router? I'm just using the 5Ghz channel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Hi, I have the standard router that vodafone gives you when siro is installed but i checked with wifi analyser and i have some dead spots in my house. Can anyone recommend a better router? I'm just using the 5Ghz channel

You should use both 2.4 and 5ghz. 5ghz doesn't penetrate walls very well when 2.4ghz will not drop as much. Your devices will roam from one to the other

• Registered Users Posts: 29 theBOFH

You should use both 2.4 and 5ghz. 5ghz doesn't penetrate walls very well when 2.4ghz will not drop as much. Your devices will roam from one to the other

+1 on that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

For siro I would say you need a mesh wifi system to maximise throughput of the speed available on wifi

Ubiquiti Amplifi HD
    Google Mesh
    Netgear Orbi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

BArra wrote: »
    For siro I would say you need a mesh wifi system to maximise throughput of the speed available on wifi

Ubiquiti Amplifi HD
    Google Mesh
    Netgear Orbi

Mesh is a buzz word these days. No mesh system can compete with a system of wired access points. Mesh works well in other countries where the standard house isn't built with concrete and blocks like ours are

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭barrystealover

I had vodafone siro installed 2 days ago.(bb and unlimited landline and unlimited mobile)

One box outside,one inside AND a modem beside the inside box.

Of course the installers didn't do what was asked and specified numerous times. Therefore the internal box and modern are:

-nowhere near the phone line to connect the telephone system.
    -nowhere near the desktop therefore working off wireless card AS OPPOSE TO WIRED CONNECTION which i was using previously.

So far the strength is good based on the speed test on google.(101.9 mbps down/104.6 up/8ms latency)

However when the old Vodafone package, i was previously with, is switched off, i will be without phone UNLESS I RUN WIRES TO THE NEW ROUTER POINT.

MY QUESTIONS:

Does the internal box AND router need to be side by side OR can i get a longer wire between internal box and router thereby allowing me to position the router beside desktop and phone cables?

If not can a "Powerline" be used?

I'm considering asking them to come back and move it or else take it away as still within cooling off period.

suggestions/solutions please?

• Advertisement
Advertisement