Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kennedyville

Options
  • 18-09-2018 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

Yet again another thing near New Ross named after the Kennedy family. They could have called it the Pink Rock Bridge or the Strokestown Bridge or a combination of both names where the bridge connects. No! Let's name it after Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy because we haven't named anything after her.

When is New Ross finally going to change it's name to Kennedyville

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Squiggle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

I saw in today's Standard on the front page that the name has been passed as the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

It wasn't the people of New Ross that picked it, the elected representatives from both local authorities had a little vote and opted for the name they were always gonna go with cos that's how democracy works.

New Ross and Piltown Municipal District Councils will cast their final votes in the Rhu Glenn on October 3rd. Time for folk to get lobbying the local reps and get the only likely alternative, The Pink Rock Bridge across the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Yet again another thing near New Ross named after the Kennedy family. They could have called it the Pink Rock Bridge or the Strokestown Bridge or a combination of both names where the bridge connects. No! Let's name it after Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy because we haven't named anything after her.

When is New Ross finally going to change it's name to Kennedyville

It'll always be the New Ross bridge to me, to hell with councillors always having to name stuff and create memorials wasting our money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Down with that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Some very dodgy characters among that clan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

kneemos wrote: »
    Some very dodgy characters among that clan.

It's not the family I've a problem with, it's the councillors that see it as their mandate to name everything in Ross or near Ross after the family.

The Pink Rock Bridge is probably the best name as it's a topographical feature near the bridge and is a distinctive name for a bridge

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

What I genuinely cant understand, is why there are so many people getting so unbelievably upset over it all. Its a bloody name of a motorway bridge. can anyone tell me the name of the one in Waterford, or elsewhere? Most people dont care. Yet some of the hilarious comments on facebook, one woman suggested a protest outside the council offices, another about boycotting the Kennedy named things in the town. I know facebook is inundated with completely irrational people but there were hundred of absurd comments about how disgraceful this decision is. The bridge is probably the closest thing of anything to the actual homestead, so there is that.

I agree there are far too many things called Kennedy, (glad the Apex got called that and not Kennedy Pool as some wanted) but is it that much of a big deal?

Any town could have one bridge, we have 4! The boom is back lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

The Kennedy name brings in tourists and money to the town. I don't like the over use but What else does New Ross have the could bring in visitors on the same level as the Kennedy name ?

Advertisement