Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend in Bucharest

Options
  • 17-09-2018 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm heading to Bucharest in October for 3 nights. It's not a place I know much about so I was hoping for some tips on what to see, where to eat, best areas for nightlife, things to avoid etc.

Thanks for any tips! :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

fdevine wrote: »
    Budapest comes up regularly. Some good advice in this thread;

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107938044

*Bucharest :P

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

Ha, sound! I was born there, hope you'll have great fun.

1. DON'T EVER TAKE A TAXI, they take advantage of everyone. Use Uber, it's 100% safe, fair and cheap. Don't even bother on public transport, only subway (that's cheap, safe and handy). But uber it's like 2-5e a fare.

2. You must go to Therme Bucharest (it's near the airport) https://therme.ro/ (top right corner option for EN language).
    Wellness & spa, costs around 10-15e, has over 1500 palms, over 800.000 plants, has thermal water. You can't compare it with anything in Europe. Allow yourself 2-4 hours as you would not want to leave.

3. Old Town(City centre) night life it's quite good, you should check a few clubs as well, definitely great craic. Expect to pay 1e a beer, 3e a cocktail.

4. Food is amazing, great cuisine and cheap. Expect to pay around 5e for a meal including drink. Hard Rock Cafe for best burgers in town (10e one), also try sky bars. Have some local beer, Ursus / Timisoreana are great.

5. Best park is Herastrau, you could rent a paddle boat for 1e/hour during the summer (could be possible now as well)

6. It boosts of concerts & theatre shows, great cinemas. There are malls everywhere.

It's a pity you stay only 3 nights, because I would've advised you to head over into the mountains, 2h away (google transfagarasan top gear).

7. Prepare to be amazed of how many beautiful girls are there. A friend just went there 2 months ago and met a girl, now they are already married :)

8. Make sure you keep your pockets safe from roma gypsies, especially in public transport (another reason I'm saying use Uber :) ). Romanians are a welcoming nation and quite helpful with tourists, most young people would know English and would be happy to help with directions.

9. You might want to check out a local hypermarket, Cora or Carrefour. They have an incredible wide range of products.

10. Try find a Patiserie (bakery). They are incredible, we love our cookies.

Feel free to pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

rosmoke wrote: »
    Ha, sound! I was born there, hope you'll have great fun.

1. DON'T EVER TAKE A TAXI, they take advantage of everyone. Use Uber, it's 100% safe, fair and cheap. Don't even bother on public transport, only subway (that's cheap, safe and handy). But uber it's like 2-5e a fare.

2. You must go to Therme Bucharest (it's near the airport) https://therme.ro/ (top right corner option for EN language).
    Wellness & spa, costs around 10-15e, has over 1500 palms, over 800.000 plants, has thermal water. You can't compare it with anything in Europe. Allow yourself 2-4 hours as you would not want to leave.

3. Old Town(City centre) night life it's quite good, you should check a few clubs as well, definitely great craic. Expect to pay 1e a beer, 3e a cocktail.

4. Food is amazing, great cuisine and cheap. Expect to pay around 5e for a meal including drink. Hard Rock Cafe for best burgers in town (10e one), also try sky bars. Have some local beer, Ursus / Timisoreana are great.

5. Best park is Herastrau, you could rent a paddle boat for 1e/hour during the summer (could be possible now as well)

6. It boosts of concerts & theatre shows, great cinemas. There are malls everywhere.

It's a pity you stay only 3 nights, because I would've advised you to head over into the mountains, 2h away (google transfagarasan top gear).

7. Prepare to be amazed of how many beautiful girls are there. A friend just went there 2 months ago and met a girl, now they are already married :)

8. Make sure you keep your pockets safe from roma gypsies, especially in public transport (another reason I'm saying use Uber :) ). Romanians are a welcoming nation and quite helpful with tourists, most young people would know English and would be happy to help with directions.

9. You might want to check out a local hypermarket, Cora or Carrefour. They have an incredible wide range of products.

10. Try find a Patiserie (bakery). They are incredible, we love our cookies.

Feel free to pm me.

Thanks for the great tips! :) Seems like there's lots to enjoy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭fdevine

MillField wrote: »
    *Bucharest :P

My bad. Sorry. Must get my eyes tested :D

Advertisement