Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does contents insurance cover my dog?

Options
  • 17-09-2018 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭

If my dog gets stolen from the garden or gets dies as a result of an accident given that animals are considered "property" would my house hold insurance cover? Would they need to be insured as specified items?

I've wondered about taking out pet insurance but the wondered if it's actually needed at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Xcellor wrote: »
    If my dog gets stolen from the garden or gets dies as a result of an accident given that animals are considered "property" would my house hold insurance cover? Would they need to be insured as specified items?

I've wondered about taking out pet insurance but the wondered if it's actually needed at all.

It would be listed on your policy under the definition of contents but typically no animals and livestock are not covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Downtime wrote: »
    It would be listed on your policy under the definition of contents but typically no animals and livestock are not covered.

Under contents it says:

What is not insured:
    • animals (except horses and pets which
    are normally domesticated in the Republic
    of Ireland
    ).

It does say:
    "The contents are insured while in the home against ...."

So the dog/animal would need to be on the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Xcellor wrote:
    What is not insured: • animals (except horses and pets which are normally domesticated in the Republic of Ireland).

I think you are quoting the Liability to Public section of the policy rather than the Contents Section.

Adding copy of the policy document, it appears under the contents.

Xcellor wrote: »
    Adding copy of the policy document, it appears under the contents.

On page 10, definition of contents, it says "The following property is not included as contents.........Any living creature"

The only other reference I can see is the exclusion in Liability to The Public (pages 28 & 29)

• Advertisement

On page 10, definition of contents, it says "The following property is not included as contents.........Any living creature"

The only other reference I can see is the exclusion in Liability to The Public (pages 28 & 29)

Yes I see this now. Good to know definitively! Cheers.

Allianz are good for pet insurance, but it is mainly for the medical side of things

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is there much of a trade in stolen pedigree dogs or are dogs stolen to order? I wasn't aware that theft was something to worry about if you owned a dog which cost money.

Advertisement