Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Proprietary wiring

Options
  • 16-09-2018 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

Purchased 2 nests before checking my wiring. I thought they would be compatible but low and behold there not. We have a Proprietary system with two wires into an powerestat rs thermostat.

Has anyone come across this problem before and is there anything that can be done.

Thanks,

Kevin

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Few more details would help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AlertKevin

Sorry, I have included the images in the link below. Hopefully this will make it easier.

https://imageshack.com/a/OcYo/1

Thanks,

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

AlertKevin wrote: »
    Sorry, I have included the images in the link below. Hopefully this will make it easier.

https://imageshack.com/a/OcYo/1

Thanks,

Kevin
    I'm confused - from what's in your photos, it should be possible to insert Nest to that. I certainly did similar for my folks a few months ago, with similar-ish setup. Albeit, you didn't give images of the valve actuators or connection box to them.

The principle to apply is that the two wires to the thermostats change from being part of the zone switching circuit to being the power supply for the Nest. You need to connect them at the boiler end to the Nest connection box. See page 10 of https://nest.com/support/images/misc-nest-thermostat-eu/gen3-install/3rd-gen-Nest-Learning-Thermostat-Install-Guide-UK.pdf where they show the two terminals T1 & T2 - these provide the power to the thermostat.

Make sense - can you access those thermostat wires back at the programmer?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

Do you have motorized valves in your hot press? (Usually orange or blue boxes stuck on to pipes near the hot water tank).
    If you do, cables from these should be going to a junction box close by. This means your house wiring is fine for nest

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AlertKevin

Thanks guys.

I contacted nest with the same pictures and they said this was a proprietary system and wasn't compatible with Nest. So I said i would post it up here.

We have an oil boiler and water tank in the boiler house outside. We have the programmer under the fuse box inside the house. So we have no hot press inside. Everything is in the boiler house.

I think we have motorized valves and will post a picture later when i get back.

Thanks,

Kevin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

AlertKevin wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

I contacted nest with the same pictures and they said this was a proprietary system and wasn't compatible with Nest. So I said i would post it up here.

We have an oil boiler and water tank in the boiler house outside. We have the programmer under the fuse box inside the house. So we have no hot press inside. Everything is in the boiler house.

I think we have motorized valves and will post a picture later when i get back.

Thanks,

Kevin
    Good stuff. When you're photo'ing the motorised actuators, there should either be terminals on the actuator itself, or sometimes it's on the end of a run of flexible cable.

Advertisement