Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Merging* (not just transferring) newer Whatsapp IOS backup into older Android backup

Options
  • 16-09-2018 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭

There was a problem with my Android about a week ago and so I started using an old iPhone. I will be setting up a new Android phone in a few days, and I know that Whatsapp will restore my old backup, which goes back several years, but if there is any way to, I would also like to merge the newer Whatsapp backup created on the iPhone over the last week into my old Android backup.

I know there are apps that allow transferring backups from Android to IOS, and vice versa, but I did not do this when I started using the iPhone, so I have two separate backups. One on Google Drive for the Android device, and one on iCloud for the iPhone. Is it possible to merge both backups together for use on Android?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

No official way that I know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭runswithascript

No official way that I know of.

I don't think there is anyway to unofficially just plain transfer either, no?

Open to any method of merging, official or unofficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭skyblueflyer

There was a problem with my Android about a week ago and so I started using an old iPhone. I will be setting up a new Android phone in a few days, and I know that Whatsapp will restore my old backup, which goes back several years, but if there is any way to, I would also like to merge the newer Whatsapp backup created on the iPhone over the last week into my old Android backup.

I know there are apps that allow transferring backups from Android to IOS, and vice versa, but I did not do this when I started using the iPhone, so I have two separate backups. One on Google Drive for the Android device, and one on iCloud for the iPhone. Is it possible to merge both backups together for use on Android?

I'm just wondering if you found a solution to this as I have the same scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭deep1

You can’t merge the WhatsApp as far as I know, but can transfer iOS history to Android, long time before when I used to use android, I have successfully transferred WhatsApp history by extracting the chat sql and using wazzup migrator app on Android. If you google you will find instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The Darkness

I'm currently awaiting delivery of a new android phone and was actually just wondering would I be able to transfer over my whatsapp history/group texts etc from my soon-to-be previous phone to my new one - can this be done?

And, if so, how do you do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Thanks a lot donspeekinglesh, appreciate it!

I've spent the last two days trying to do this, but it just won't work; and it's driving me crazy.

I saved a local backup on my old android phone (htc one m8), then copied it onto the sd card and transferred it to the new android phone (galaxy s9 plus); so far, so good - or so I thought.

Then I also copied it to the internal storage on the new phone, so it was on both internal and external storage, just in case; and both files are in the correct whatsapp folders AFAIK.

Yet whenever I install or restart or refresh whatsapp, it refuses to so much as even acknowledge their existence; almost as if the backups don't exist.
    Is there something that I'm missing???

That link above mentions tapping RESTORE when prompted, but the only prompts that I'm getting are to check Google Drive for backups when I start whatsapp. Now I'm looking to avoid saving or in any way sending any of my personal messages to Drive, or any other Google-related or cloud service, if at all possible; for obvious reasons.

So, if anyone can please explain or advise as to how I can remedy this; or perhaps suggest some workaround that will enable me to avoid the Google data juggernaut, then I'd be eternally grateful.

Cheers.

I've spent the last two days trying to do this, but it just won't work; and it's driving me crazy.

I saved a local backup on my old android phone (htc one m8), then copied it onto the sd card and transferred it to the new android phone (galaxy s9 plus); so far, so good - or so I thought.

Then I also copied it to the internal storage on the new phone, so it was on both internal and external storage, just in case; and both files are in the correct whatsapp folders AFAIK.

Yet whenever I install or restart or refresh whatsapp, it refuses to so much as even acknowledge their existence; almost as if the backups don't exist.
    Is there something that I'm missing???

That link above mentions tapping RESTORE when prompted, but the only prompts that I'm getting are to check Google Drive for backups when I start whatsapp. Now I'm looking to avoid saving or in any way sending any of my personal messages to Drive, or any other Google-related or cloud service, if at all possible; for obvious reasons.

So, if anyone can please explain or advise as to how I can remedy this; or perhaps suggest some workaround that will enable me to avoid the Google data juggernaut, then I'd be eternally grateful.

Cheers.

Seems you doing all steps correctly, only thing I can advice you to is remove backup on Sd card and keep on internal storage only, then remove WhatsApp and install again on internal storage and see if prompt for backup file.

If not google drive is way to go, to be more safe, delete the data from drive as soon as it is transferred to WhatsApp.

deep1 wrote: »
    Seems you doing all steps correctly, only thing I can advice you to is remove backup on Sd card and keep on internal storage only, then remove WhatsApp and install again on internal storage and see if prompt for backup file.

If not google drive is way to go, to be more safe, delete the data from drive as soon as it is transferred to WhatsApp.

The lastest version of WhatsApp does not allow for a local restore, you need to download this version https://www.latestonnet.com/WhatsApp_2.18.248.apk and then it will allow the restore.

• Advertisement

The lastest version of WhatsApp does not allow for a local restore, you need to download this version https://www.latestonnet.com/WhatsApp_2.18.248.apk and then it will allow the restore.

Thanks for the reply skyblueflyer, that would certainly explain it.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know this works - have you done it yourself?

I don't mean to be contrary or suspicious towards you when I ask btw; I'm just a little concerned about downloading apk files from sites I'm unfamiliar with.

Thanks for the reply skyblueflyer, that would certainly explain it.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know this works - have you done it yourself?

I don't mean to be contrary or suspicious towards you when I ask btw; I'm just a little concerned about downloading apk files from sites I'm unfamiliar with.

Yes I'm after doing it myself about a week ago. I was actually bring the WhatsApp messages from my iPhone and this was part of the process.
    https://www.latestonnet.com/2018/01/21/transfer-iphone-whatsapp-data-to-android/.html

Yes I'm after doing it myself about a week ago. I was actually bring the WhatsApp messages from my iPhone and this was part of the process.
    https://www.latestonnet.com/2018/01/21/transfer-iphone-whatsapp-data-to-android/.html

Well, I'm going from an android to another android so you would think it would be more straightforward, but not a chance.

I tried installing this version of whatsapp, but it's just the same dead-end as far as I can tell.
    It prompts me to check Google Drive for backups at the start, but not a mention of doing the same from local backups.

Just out of curiosity - at what stage of the process did you, or do people in general, get the prompt to restore from a local backup?

Well, I'm going from an android to another android so you would think it would be more straightforward, but not a chance.

I tried installing this version of whatsapp, but it's just the same dead-end as far as I can tell.
    It prompts me to check Google Drive for backups at the start, but not a mention of doing the same from local backups.

Just out of curiosity - at what stage of the process did you, or do people in general, get the prompt to restore from a local backup?

Local backup prompt is on start too. Is your local backup on WhatsApp folder? Sorry not sure about Android to Android but for iPhone to Android backup need to be in certain folder to be detect by app.

It sounds like you have not put the backups in the correct folder. Follow the steps in "last step" in the link I gave you.

Ya, so I finally managed it. I just downloaded that version that you posted the link to above; then, when it had created the com.whatsapp folder on my sd card in: My Files > Android > data > com.whatsapp; I copied in a Databases folder that I'd created elsewhere on the sd card with the local backup db.crypt file in it - and when I opened whatsapp, it gave me the prompt to restore from the local backup; success! :D

Although I did also copy the databases folder into My Files > Internal storage > WhatsApp - so perhaps it restored it from there, I don't really know for certain.

Although tbh I'm not remotely bothered which one it was; just delighted that it's finally worked after three days of great annoyance - and all without having to run it through the data harvesting behemoth that is Google Drive; result! :cool:

Advertisement