Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

organisations funded by donations but you think they should be funded by government?

Options
  • 16-09-2018 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭

OK so just listening to a childline this morning on the radio that hint that to "keep childline operating" they rely on donations/charity. Got me thinking shouldnt it be an organisation run by government (yes I know its not the governments money at the end of the day its Tax Payers money) and then just rely on donations as a bonus - but the main income to run the organisation with funds coming from government .

Then that got me thinking what else is heavily reliant or totally dependent on donations and would have trouble if funds dried up?

Hospices, MS society, cancer society, homeless shelters, other societies and organisations etc..

By people continuing to dig deep in their pockets and donating to and funding charities and organisations is this not in effect "letting the government off the hook" in that they think well with people raising money out of donations we are let off having to fund these places.

whilst I think fundraising is good for a lot of causes there are some causes i think should be funded from government instead. - What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I believe most mountain rescue teams also receive very little (if any) funding from the government.

Which, if true, would be outrageous I think

• Registered Users Posts: 27,226 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://www.ispcc.ie/file/469/23/1/14_0/pdfresizer.com-pdf-resize.pdf

Childline, like many charities, have some intricate financial details.

Fundraising brought in €3.13m in 2017, but it cost €1.36m to raise it, abour 40% of money donated to Childline goes to the chuggers and to administration.

They got €1.2m in grants from various Government agencies.

The CEO gets paid between €110,000 and €120,000.

Senior management (no number given) get 500k between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

wexie wrote: »
    I believe most mountain rescue teams also receive very little (if any) funding from the government.

Which, if true, would be outrageous I think

Same for RNLI

• Registered Users Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A lot of organisations which people think would be self funding, actually get government funding. For each new one that comes on board, I think an existing one should cease in its place.

http://quangos-ireland.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Irish_Quangos

• Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://www.ispcc.ie/file/469/23/1/14_0/pdfresizer.com-pdf-resize.pdf

Childline, like many charities, have some intricate financial details.

Fundraising brought in €3.13m in 2017, but it cost €1.36m to raise it, abour 40% of money donated to Childline goes to the chuggers and to administration.

They got €1.2m in grants from various Government agencies.

The CEO gets paid between €110,000 and €120,000.

Senior management (no number given) get 500k between them.

thats what always makes me angry the fat cats getting payouts .. even chuggers getting paid . I would say the majority of people who donate if they knew most of the time that the money they donate is not going directly to the charity / to run it /people that need it but instead gets spent on other things like income for people like this then i reckon a lot would not give

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

thats what always makes me angry the fat cats getting payouts .. even chuggers getting paid . I would say the majority of people who donate if they knew most of the time that the money they donate is not going directly to the charity / to run it /people that need it but instead gets spent on other things like income for people like this then i reckon a lot would not give

That would work at a small level, like a sport club doing a flag day. But for bigger operations, full time staff are needed, and not many people can volunteer to do that for free.

Advertisement