Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online pharmacies: where are people going for best value?

Options
  • 16-09-2018 1:46pm

So, about a year ago my local pharmacy wanted to charge me €95 for something so I shopped around and found it for €74 in one of the chain pharmacies in Dublin. The exact same product. So, I moved my business to that one pharmacy (in part because the Drug Payments Scheme monthly limit for a family works much better when you stick with one pharmacy).

Last week I went to the same pharmacy chain with a prescription for Canesten 1% polvere cutanea 30g. They phoned me two days later to say it was ready for collection and would be just under €29. I went in, handed over the money and came home and the entire product was in Italian only with no translation for the instructions on how to use it. Finding this odd on a prescribed medicine (and illegal???), I googled the product and the first result was this: €8.21 for the exact same product. Add in €3 or even €4 for delivery and the price difference is gobsmacking.

Furthermore, I'd be fairly certain that because the entire product was in Italian only the pharmacy in Dublin simply ordered the product from this or a similar website and charged me a €20 fee - c. 200% profit - on top. In addition to a 20% increase in my GP's fee in the past two weeks, I've had enough so where are people finding the best value from an online pharmacy is? Are there any downsides to ordering online? For that matter, are many people in Ireland buying from online pharmacies yet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Newry.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I get e mails from abroad with very good deals on various medicinal products. But as I do not require any of them I have never responded.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

My spam folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I had a relative who used work with in quality control in a pharmaceutical company. They used get complaints about there products being inferior or not up to standard.
    Most of the time the products were things claiming to be them purchased off the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I've found big savings by using these guys :

https://healthwave.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I had a relative who used work with in quality control in a pharmaceutical company. They used get complaints about there products being inferior or not up to standard.
    Most of the time the products were things claiming to be them purchased off the internet.

They used to get complaints?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

backspin. wrote: »
    They used to get complaints?

Yes, they'd have to request a sample of the medication for testing and when they tested it generally came back as not being produced by them.
    When questioned where was the product bought it was off the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Fuaranach wrote: »
    So, about a year ago my local pharmacy wanted to charge me €95 for something so I shopped around and found it for €74 in one of the chain pharmacies in Dublin. The exact same product. So, I moved my business to that one pharmacy (in part because the Drug Payments Scheme monthly limit for a family works much better when you stick with one pharmacy).

Last week I went to the same pharmacy chain with a prescription for []Canesten 1% polvere cutanea 30g[/url]. They phoned me two days later to say it was ready for collection and would be just under €29. I went in, handed over the money and came home and the entire product was in Italian only with no translation for the instructions on how to use it. Finding this odd on a prescribed medicine (and illegal???), I googled the product and the first result was this: €8.21 for the exact same product. Add in €3 or even €4 for delivery and the price difference is gobsmacking.

Furthermore, I'd be fairly certain that because the entire product was in Italian only the pharmacy in Dublin simply ordered the product from this or a similar website and charged me a €20 fee - c. 200% profit - on top. In addition to a 20% increase in my GP's fee in the past two weeks, I've had enough so where are people finding the best value from an online pharmacy is? Are there any downsides to ordering online? For that matter, are many people in Ireland buying from online pharmacies yet?

50g of it here n elsewhere for 12.50

Canesten Cream 1% 50g €12.50

https://www.sammccauley.com/canesten-cream-1-50g.html

The cream can also be used in the treatment of vulva (external thrush)

I suppose if i had itchy beaver lips i might want to whinge too, but i don't

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Advertisement