Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Usage Stats

Options
  • 16-09-2018 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭

I got connected to FTTH on 6th Sept.
    Up to that point I had use 8GB data.

10 days later my stats show 48GB down and 3.6GB up

Allowing for some speed tests which would add to my usage, I expected my stats to rise a bit.

Other than that I have not used the service for anything more than normal.

Generally my d/load use has been between 30GB and 40GB per month.
    September 2018	3672 MB	48000 MB	51672 MB	 
    August 2018	1966 MB	34364 MB	36330 MB	 
    July 2018	1806 MB	30583 MB	32389 MB	 
    June 2018	1939 MB	40598 MB	42537 MB

At the present rate the stats are showing that I will far far exceed that by the month's end.
    Apparently in 10 days I have used the equivalent of any previous month's allowance.

As I said the use has not changed, except that downloads have of course become faster from fast servers.

If this continues, it would indicate some fault somewhere with the calculation of the data throughput.
    Should I elect to use some streaming service it would not be surprising to see the stat rise above 1TB for a month. (I *think* I am not limited to 1TB).

Has anyone else noticed unexplained higher than usual stats?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Has anyone else noticed unexplained higher than usual stats?
    It's probably not this, but you might check your router from time to time to check connected devices. You might have picked up a non-paying passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

KOR101 wrote: »
    It's probably not this, but you might check your router from time to time to check connected devices. You might have picked up a non-paying passenger.

I have been watching it and can identify all devices .... connected and disconnected.

In any case it would be unusual for someone to be able to 'see' my signal from a public spot.
    The old router certainly never reached that far.
    Have no checked the new one .... but anyone hanging about would be easily spotted :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Everything ramps up, Netflix, YouTube etc all test your network and set themselves to a higher quality. Even the Facebook webpage and app preload videos as you scroll. Ads also load faster.

I have been watching it and can identify all devices .... connected and disconnected.

In any case it would be unusual for someone to be able to 'see' my signal from a public spot.
    The old router certainly never reached that far.
    Have no checked the new one .... but anyone hanging about would be easily spotted :D
    I can pick up my neighbour who is 125 meters from my house with my laptop. And, that's before I've tried out my new antenna which supposedly works up to 1.5kms.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00BBU7BNM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't know anything about Eir routers but I did a bit of 'education' on this during the summer and found that about 30% of routers out there are vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I don't know anything about Eir routers but I did a bit of 'education' on this during the summer and found that about 30% of routers out there are vulnerable.

Ah here ... with the first generation of routers, that Eircom were rolling out, it was pure fun to go war-driving around Dublin. You could tap into anyones AP from 500m+ away .. All you needed was a yagi or similar.

Takes a lot more trickery these day to brute-force a WPA key, but still can be done.

/M

• Advertisement

I was trying to configure my FTTH router on the first day and someone tried to MITM me.

Everything ramps up, Netflix, YouTube etc all test your network and set themselves to a higher quality. Even the Facebook webpage and app preload videos as you scroll. Ads also load faster.

That is what most put it down to I guess.

In this case, all youtube videos were previously viewed in HD (1080) where available.
    No change to that.
    No extra youtube use either.

No Netflix.

No social media except wife on to facebook maybe once or twice a week to catch up with her sis.
    Text only and odd pic.

As I said I cannot account for the extra usage.

Maybe it will settle down.
    Quite likely the installer down/uploaded quite a bit ...... it did take time when I noticed.

I will need to check how far the wireless signal travels just to be sure.

I expect very short distance as the walls are lined with foil backed insulation.

I can pick up my neighbour who is 125 meters from my house with my laptop. And, that's before I've tried out my new antenna which supposedly works up to 1.5kms.

I would not expect very much from that antenna .... but hope I am wrong and that it works brilliantly for you ;)

I have one neighbour within a couple of hundred metres.
    I must ask him if he can see my wireless SSIDs.

I would greatly doubt he would bother connecting even to an open connection if he had the chance.
    He would prefer his own. ;)

Checked Myeir this morning, as I noticed there was no increase in the numbers for my throughput ........ I scrape the details from the dslstats page and display them on screen.

So now I see this on my Dashboard
    Broadband
    eir Fibre Extreme 150Mb
    63.534 GB / Unlimited

So the first question would be:
    Does the specification of "Fibre Extreme" and "Unlimited" together mean that there is no cap or FUP?

A comment:

It appears that the dls-stats page is now not showing the data throughput as it did before (although it was erroneous IMO).
    The numbers there have not been updated by the most recent activity .... I downloaded some ISOs yesterday so have a reasonable idea what the figure should have risen by.

Total Downloads to date this month:	 53194 MB (51.948 GB)
    Total Uploads to date this month:	 3838 MB (3.748 GB)
    Combined Download + Upload to date this month:	 57032 MB (55.696 GB)
    Product Allowance:	Unlimited
    Last usage recording date/time:	 Batch

Diff ...... 63.5 Vs 57 GBs
    That difference if it was yesterday's usage would gel with my own expectation of about 7GB use or a little more from some heavy (for me) downloading.

I have read that dsl-stats no longer reflect usage for some posters on FTTH, so maybe that is the case here.
    I guess time will tell.

The important thing is ...... is the use of Fibre Extreme indicative of anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Extreme means FTTH. Efibre/Efibre Ultimate are the FTTC packages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

I was trying to configure my FTTH router on the first day and someone tried to MITM me.

Soz....

m99T wrote: »
    Soz....
    So, anyone with unusual stats should check for connected devices. I'm mostly apartment based these days and am seeing MITM attacks on a weekly basis. And, I was surprised how easily you can be compromised, at least with many old routers anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

So, anyone with unusual stats should check for connected devices. I'm mostly apartment based these days and am seeing MITM attacks on a weekly basis. And, I was surprised how easily you can be compromised, at least with many old routers anyway.

Yeah I can confirm while I probably didn't get you KOR I have myself done this and it is 100% happening up and down the country.

So when it happens to you blame the kid next door who has a KALI Linux sticker on his window.

Advertisement