Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best way to use your own router with Eir FTTH and keep VOIP

Options
  • 16-09-2018 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

I've seen a few posts on this and I'm still a bit confused about the best way to go about this.

This is what I was thinking of doing.

Connect a switch to the ont
    Connect both routers to the switch
    Connect the F2000 with ppp and disable dhcp
    Connect my new router with IPoE

Would that work? Is there anything I've overlooked and is there a better way of achieving the same results?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Couldnt you just connect a lan port to the wan on your router and turn the wifi off on eirs router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Couldnt you just connect a lan port to the wan on your router and turn the wifi off on eirs router?

Wan ports are for connecting two subnets though right?

I could change the subnet on the f2000 and put the new router into DMZ mode then connect from from the lan port of the f2000 to the wan of the new one. That should work too but which is the better option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

That would be double NAT which you definitely don't want

Double NAT does not prevent your devices access to the internet but may cause problems with playing online games, opening a specific service port, connecting to a VPN tunnel, or visiting secure sites with SSL. Also, the devices connected to the first private network may not be able to communicate to the devices connected to the other private network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Connect your own router directly to the ont?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Connect your own router directly to the ont?

That only works if they provide you the SIP credentials which currently theyre trying but failing to do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement