Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripped jeans and hip beards

Options
  • 15-09-2018 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,584 ✭✭✭

Why are teenagers and women putting holes in perfectly good jeans? Also having a beard century's ago was acceptable due to the lack of access to shaving gear the full beard and mustache look has become so common nowadays. Is it just o look masculine and try to impress the opposite sex. Its an untidy look imo and there is no excuse to be clean shaven.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'm with you on the ripped jeans front, especially on men but a well groomed beard is just as good as clean shaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

2ad.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Is it me that is out of touch? No, no its the children.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

billyhead wrote: »
    hip beards
    I've never seen a beard on a hip? Was it visible through the rips?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,260 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This has being happening for well over a decade now. I wouldn't exactly consider it a new thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Saw a woman whom I know to be well in her 40's today with jeans ripped apart from mid shin to mid thigh. Shes a looker with good pins but it looked absolutely stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Clean shaven here, no ripped jeans.. But I actually felled a tree today, however I did look like a mong wearing a motorcycle helmet for protection lol

(pix to prove it too)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Heckler wrote: »
    Saw a woman whom I know to be well in her 40's today with jeans ripped apart from mid shin to mid thigh. Shes a looker with good pins but it looked absolutely stupid.

Had she a well trimmed beard or a bushy one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

What you'll normally find is that they're probably a twat whether they've a beard, ripped jeans, or neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

billyhead wrote:
    Why are teenagers and women putting holes in perfectly good jeans? Also having a beard century's ago was acceptable due to the lack of access to shaving gear the full beard and mustache look has become so common nowadays. Is it just o look masculine and try to impress the opposite sex. Its an untidy look imo and there is no excuse to be clean shaven.

Perhaps we should bring in state sanctioned hair styles too? North Korea could send us their brochure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I assumed the jeans were sold like that :o Saw a woman old enough to know better wearing some strategically placed threads before the weather turned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

It's like we learned nothing from the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Its an untidy look imo and there is no excuse to be clean shaven.

Make your mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

There's nothing wrong with a well maintained beard. IMO lads that have a hang up about beards can't grow one :P

The ripped jeans look is awful though. I see a lot of male teenagers wearing them and it's just very feminine to me. Current fashions trend I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

There's nothing wrong with a well maintained beard. IMO lads that have a hang up about beards can't grow one :P

The ripped jeans look is awful though. I see a lot of male teenagers wearing them and it's just very feminine to me. Current fashions trend I guess.

They're probably a step up from the normal teenager look of a septic grey tracksuit with ankle cuffs and the shiniest black trainers that you would have got beaten up in school for wearing in the good old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

I used to be with it, but then they changed what ‘it’ was, and now what I’m with isn’t it. And what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Patww79 wrote: »
    They're probably a step up from the normal teenager look of a septic grey tracksuit with ankle cuffs and the shiniest black trainers that you would have got beaten up in school for wearing in the good old days.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭per aspera ad astra

A beard isn't an accessory – it isn't a f***ing hat. It like everything else on our bodies – serves an important evolutionary function.

"Oh look at the Orangutan, wouldn't you think he would cut off his big flanges! What is he like!?! He should cut them off!

Look at the shape of that lion – what is he llke with his mane!?! Does he think the lionesses find him attractive?? He should cut off his mane and look like the lioness!

Hey Mr. Peacock – your big colourful tail looks ridiculous! – why don't you cut them feathers off like everybody else! Then you will be like the Peahen!

Mr. Deer – what are you like!?! You're antlers are ridiculous, why don't you get them cut off? Then you will be like the Doe!"

I could go on and on – but I think I've made my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Imagine,,, On a student night out some guy decides to break a window.. surely the CCTV of the offender would be useless!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Mailcoachinn

And traveler haircuts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,799 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Some of the ripped jeans going around are fit only for the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Heckler wrote: »

POGTFO

• Registered Users Posts: 30,260 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Patww79 wrote: »

In my area they only seem to wear skinny black tracksuit pants with black runners. They are the sort of runners you might get away with wearing to school.
    Then there's the no socks thing or leaving your bare ankles hang out. When I was in school one kid used do this because he either had no money to afford socks or wasn't the best at dressing himself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Nitric Acid is great for putting holes in jeans.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I remember wearing ripped jeans in the late eighties/early nineties. Jeans that had ripped themselves, though. Sometime the jeans were patched (surprised that hasn't come back).
    I remember being horrified at a friend who discovered that a bread knife created credible rips. That seemed wrong to me.

As for beards.
    I think that with today's shaving technology there's no excuse for not having a clean shaven head. It's so much neater and hygienic.

Also, growing a beard is a passive thing.
    Shaving the hair off your face is a very deliberate act that is done purely for fashion purposes.
    Clean shaven fashion victims!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Who cares?
    Ripped jeans come around every 10 to 15 years. They had a mini moment around 2005 (more a kind of frayed patch effect than the older ripped style). Beards come in and out on a slightly longer cycle. They last seem to have been in in the 70s.

Neither are that bad. The real horrors of contemporary fashion are Man-buns and those shorts teenage girls are wearing that show half of their arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Victor wrote: »
    I've never seen a beard on a hip? Was it visible through the rips?

A woman with a cheeky peeking of the ol' natural?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Ripped jeans are ok and so are beards although It does depend on the type. I have one but I don't have a hipster one and I keep It nice and neat so It doesn't develop into a neckbeard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

It's scruffy. That Europe lie. I've had an aqquaitance with a very slightly hirsute one, a Swiss lady. The other ones were perfectly groomed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement