Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Understandin Family Law Practices

Options
  • 15-09-2018 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

As someone who has little or no knowledge about family law in terms of legal practices etc, I'm hoping someone here can help me understand certain aspects, I don't fully understand.

Firstly, under what circumstances could a (female) spouse be ordered by a court to leave the family home, which she's occupied with two daughters (early twenties-one still a student) since husband left 5 years previously? Order for husband to carry out (not personally!) urgent repairs to the property also imposed.Couple as I understand it, have a judicial separation. House put up for sale (and sold) shortly afterwards. Appears very strange to me. Husband had a safely order imposed a few months after this-not for violence as such, but more intimidation of ex-spouse etc

I understand a court can order the sale a family home in order to divide up assets. If one party (wife) objects to this, preferring instead to retain the property, is the court's decision binding? I'd imagine a lot depends on her (financial) ability to do this.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Why didn't the wife make an offer to buy the house if she was financially able to do so?
    The time to speak up is when your in court and not a few months after the house is sold and ask the court for time so a plan can be put in place for the wife to buy out her ex husband.
    AFAIK to over turn this would be nearly impossible and extremely expensive with days tied up in the High Court.

Advertisement